professional thesis printing

C

How did other people cope with printing a thesis with a large number of colour diagrams mixed in with the text? Has anyone had it done professionally-did you get a good quote? I'm considering reprinting on a colour laser printer but my best quote is £138+vat for 3 copies (20p per sheet). Another quote is 40p sheet.

J

Here we are all electronic at this level, so submission is in that form, and when everything is done and dusted, you get a copy for the uni library- and maybe one for yourself as well. But there is also an in-house service for binding etc. for other degrees have you checked to see if there is one you can use?

Is that the price for doing it all, that is getting it printed as well, and if so, can you get it printed up and just give it to them for binding? I'm not sure how much you will save by that though.

S

CC - we have to print it and pay for it ourselves at our Uni. although we do get 1000 print copy allocation per year on a black laser printer
I do have a black laser printer at home - which is great, but may have to just do the colour pics on an inkjet - not looking forward to that as I need 4 copies of the submitted form, then 3 copies once the corrections are done - expensive business!

Oh yea then bind them I suppose ;)

C

That is just for printing. The university binds but does not print and referred me to the 40p a sheet people. I have a black laser printer, but may just have to go back into uni to print (free)-I did leave in September. I hoped to avoid printing out each individual page on an inkjet as so much of my thesis is colour. I didn't know how much it would cost at a printers though! I'm still seeing if I can call in some favours from friends who have printing at work. Middle option is to just send just the colour pages to the printers I suppose, but then I could almost print myself if faffing with pages.

S

same here, every 3rd page is colour and its all one document so it'd just end up a mess if I split it all up etc - Just gonna hvae to endure doing it myself

To be honest, its not the worst thing about writing up so I think I'll cope

B

you could buy a colour laser printer for less than the cost of printing. More faffing around and still needs binding, but you get to keep the printer!

S

yea I would, despite the cost of laser toners, but I'm leavin for the US probably about 2 days after the viva so I don't think I want to pay for another printer. By the time I ran off all the copies it would probably cost the same
I already have 2 desktops, a loptop, laser printer and inkjet printer at some stage I gotta stop

Just suck it up and do it page at a time I think

C

My plan is to use my supervisors laser printer while they are on holiday!!

You could ask your supervisor. They should be happy you are submitting!

S

i think she'll be overjoyed not to have to read it anymore

but she doesn't have a laser one - there is a colour laser in the department but I can't get the bugger to work - its a good one too - damn students broke it doing god knows what

C

Too be honest, I will be glad not having to do corrections on sections that are ok in one draft but not the other or take sections out then put them back in!
I hate thesis writing!! Esp when the deadline is getting tight and you are waiting for stuff.
Bring on print day!!!!

S

Oh god yes - bring on that glorious day - please - don't think I can do this much longer

C

You don't know how long it took to print I had to go in 2 days. It turned into another hurdle with stuff to sort out.

S

but is that it done now?? - submitted