Proposals, postdocs & honesty

S

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I'm in the fortunate position of being written into a proposal for a post-doc. Our first two funding applications failed, but we're about to put in our third bid which we have a much higher chance of getting. However, I recently gave a talk and was lucky enough to be asked by another group if I would like to be included in as named post-doc for a proposal they're putting in on a slightly different topic (told that they stand a good chance of it being funded). I really like the sound of this latter post-doc, but not sure over the ethics of being included on two proposals as named post-doc, or how honest I should be with either party...

S

...for the proposal I'm already written into, I've been working with the lead P.I. on it for over a year, like them a lot, and would feel very bad if we got the funding and I decided to turn it down. Should I (1) be honest with both parties, and make it clear that I want a post-doc and since the funding is uncertain I'm trying other options? or (2) not admit it and allow to be included as named post-doc for both and deal with the consequences afterwards? or (3) not be included as named post-doc for the new opportunity (even though its a great opportunity)? Any advice gratefully recieved!

D

i dunno - think about which one you want to do. Its unfair as someone else could be written into that bid that may REALLY want to do it.

S

Hmm you're right that it's unfair if I'm depriving someone else. They both could not get funded, or maybe one will and the other not. If both get funded and I'm written into both, then the one I turn down would get advertised (though inevitably this would mean that the start of the project would be delayed) - letting someone else make the most of the opportunity (I wrote a substantial part of the proposal in the first place so it's not an easy task to turn down if we're lucky enough to get funded). What happens if I'm written into one already, but prefer the new opportunity? It's too late to drop out of the first. I admit, the second post-doc opportunity is at a pretty amazing centre of research - I'm lucky to be asked to be included in their proposals. It'd difficult to turn down and would be a great career opportunity. Dilemma!

T

Honesty is the best policy? I think if nothing else that you are determiend to carry on in Academia, if you discuss the options with the people involved then something can be worked out and they will understand your motivations.

Remember, if both groups do similar ish work then you're bound to run into the other group sooner or later. With academic politics, you have loads of enemies as it is, without making more!

S

Hi coastman, yes you're right - it's a very small world, so if I'm not honest, it's quite possible the other party would find out even if I didn't tell them (e.g. in the proposal reviewing process or just chatting to each other). I prefer the honesty route anyway, it's more comfortable (otherwise I get racked with guilt). But I do know others that juggle opportunities, in the end one party is left pretty disgruntled & you can't really afford to get enemies when it's a small field. Thanks for the words of wisdom! It's difficult to find a solution sometimes when you're in the midst of it.

O

I would talk to your collegue you have written the first proposal with and tell him "hey, xy asked me to be part of their proposal. What do you think?" They may turn around and say: go for it as we are unlikely to get funding or they say "What a great honour" in which case you know they would not talk to you for ages if you go for the other proposal. Might open up the possibilities a bit and "congratulations!"

S

This doesn't help with your problem, but I didn't know a postdoc could be named on a proposal - does this just mean they're asking for funding to pay you or are you more of a co-investigator?
Do you have a say in how the project is carried out? Would you have a say in how the funding is spent? (since you're named)

S

Getting put on as named post-doc doesn't mean you have control of the money or the project - but it does mean at least you can get some input on how your bit of the project is run & written into the proposal. It's an advantage to the PI and co-PI because it saves the hassle of having to advertise - you instantly have someone ready to start as soon as the money is available. It's a great inside track on getting a post-doc. For me it makes it easier to get funding because I don't yet have all the publications you need to get a fellowship. Let people know you're looking for a post-doc, and these opportunities may crop up (at least in science).

Z

A friend of mine was in exactly your position - she was a named researcher in a post-doc, a better one came along, she was lucky and both got funding....all that happened is that she told the first set of colleagues that she wouldn't be able to do the project anymore because of the new & better opportunity....it wasn't a big deal, they will just advertise for someone else. Because achieving funding is so hard, i think it is unrealistic to only apply for one post-doc at a time, and if you explain the situation to your colleagues, i dont think they can expect you to not go for something else as well. Its like applying for jobs i.e. more than one at a time, as the chances are you wont get every one you apply for.