prospects for phd v/s masters

B

Hi folks, I just joined this forum few minutes ago, went through the topics and got motivated to write a new topic. Here is my situation, I am doing phd (molecular biology) since 2 years and few months. The project is going well, I have two publications,one as a first author and another as 3rd author. Things are moving fine though, but i am no more motivated (i think....). Thinking of quiting, taking a master's degree and getting a job. Would it be a mistake? What wil be prospects after phd in this field other than post doc. As I am girl, I will eventually have a family, and dont want to get into a stressful job of grant and article writing, rejection and all that..... Please any suggesstions or advice most welcome.....

S

Welcome to the forum! As to your problem - were you thinking of doing a masters in an entirely different area & change areas completely or stay in the field you're working? Is it the subject itself or the job prospects? I'm not sure about molecular biology jobs, but friends who've done biochemistry and anything that has a medical slant get jobs easily, and good ones when you have a PhD. It's normal to go through a period of lack of motivation in a PhD. You're doing well, with two publications already you may even be able to submit within 3 years. One year isn't so long in the grand scheme of things. If it's just a lack of motivation rather than a positive dislike or hate of your subject - I'd stick at it. There's nothing to stop you changing if you want to at the end. To remotivate yourself, take a bit of time off, go to some conferences (great boosters, I love getting all nerdy and talking shop and bouncing ideas off others who are doing similar stuff). Good luck

B

What you are feeling is totally normal for the stage where you at (i.e. just over 2 years in). It's just a case of whether you want to 'push through' this or sack it off ... and only you know what is really the best thing to do for you.

B

hi all, thanks for the replies, but the true thing that is hurting me right now is, is it worth doing phd in molecular biology if you don not want to be a bench scientist for all your life? i will be finishing my 3 years in jan 08, and typically masters should take around 2-2 1/2 years with thesis, so I will just lose 1/2 - 1 year. Though good publications are very important to become a scientist, but will I get a coverage of these publications with any other field? Can you do something else (course work or academically...)meanwhile take up a job as a research assistant somewhere. Other than becoming a pattent lawyer what else can be done with a masters in molecular biology?? I appreciate all your comments, thanks again.

C

You could look into pharmaceutical careers. Writing/publishing careers would be helped by papers, but may need a PhD.

K

PhD's are worth a lot more in any scientific field than a masters so I would stick with the PhD especially as you are doing so well. I am doing molecular biology and everything is taking me forever and I am a long way from publishing so I'm quite jealous! Even if you don't want to be a bench scientist it is a lot easier to get higher up in the field with a PhD than with a masters because you need the research background.

L

I am with katq ... stick with ur phd .. you have been holding up for two and a half years which is an achievement with two publications .. so six more months they will pass so quick you wont even notice. Having a phd is much respectible in the long term than masters and it is a proof that you are an independent researcher and able of publishing your work.