Public Health vs Epidemiology - does it matter

H

I'm interested in doing a Masters in epidemiology or public health, but I don't really know how to choose between them. Looking at courses on offer, both appeal to me, and I'm pretty sure I would be happy doing either.

What I really want to know is: would choosing one over the other have any impact on future job/PhD opportunities? Is there any reason why I might end up regretting choosing one over the other?

H

Anyone?!

S

Hello....

I'm a statistician but work in a eidemiology department. I have a background in stats unfortunatly and havn't done much in term of epi, what I would say is that epidemiology is more stats based than public health. I think public health tends to be more about policy and such forth, however I know the two are fairly similar and i don't think that you would have much problems with getting into the other field career wise having studied the other at masters level. Don't know if this helps at all, let me know if you i can be of further help. What courses were you looking at?

H

Having just completed an MSc in epidemiology I can confirm what SillyBilly has said. An epidemiology course will involve a lot more statistics, where as