publication almost impossible!

S

hi everyone
I've been struggling with my journal manuscripts--all three been rejected--I really feel hopeless! I'm re-writing another one now, but reaching this state where I feel its pointless--but I really need to have at least one publication. Otherwise everytime I apply for a job, it's going to be blank under "Publications".

Also, when I look at job adverts, almost everyone of them asks for publications!
I would like to perhaps go into teaching as well, but then again--how many papers have you authored??? none--so sad.

really feel miserable, advice, anyone? thanks
love satchi

hi satchi
You don't have to be hopeless about it. I waited for two years and I have four rejections but every time I re-wrote better one. First publication is a trial and error learning. Write the editors and ask reasons of rejection, so you can figure your deficiencies and fix them.

love aysegul

D

Hi satchi,

Last year I attended a workshop on how to get published from a professional author. His number one advice was to make a good first draft. He was using mind maps. In the middle he was putting the basic conclusion of the paper. Then he was adding the headings, then the subheadings and then the paragraphs as bullet points.

One very important thing is to find your targeted journal,and copy the structure: Use exactly the same number of words for the title, the same number of paragraphs for the introduction and so forth. Make sure that you have references from the same journal.

Sometimes it is a matter of luck, as it might be that they just published a paper on a similar topic and they don't want more. In multi-disciplinary research one editor might think that it is too technical while the other editor thinks your paper is not technical enough.

Hope you don't get discouraged and keep re-writing your papers... Also remember that it is quite difficult to get published in high impact journals. Good luck!

S

hi aysegul and DrJeckyll
thanks very much for your input! I really appreciate it. You're right about a matter of luck, though. How very true. As hopeless as I still feel, I'll persist. I really need to get published.
thanks
love satchi

D

Hey,

Have you read Writing for Academic Journals by Rowena Murray? I found this really useful...

E

Hi Satchi,
Remember, if you don't get rejections, then you are not aiming high enough! So if you get rejections at first, that is totally ok. Then you can use their feedback to change the manuscript and try again, or you can move down the list to a lower impact journal. Don't worry, it's normal to have journal rejections, even the top professors get rejections all the time. I know it's disappointing, and so frustrating that it takes soooo long to get anything published. If you need something published quickly, maybe just try a lower rated journal, and it might help build your confidence to have something accepted.

Also, for job applications, maybe you can list your manuscripts as "submitted". Then they will know you are actively preparing your work for publication, and it will get accepted eventually. Another trick I have used is to title the section "publications and recent conference presentations", and list any presentations and posters as well. Though it depends how specific they are about how the application is done.

Keep trying and your papers will get accepted for sure :)

S

hi Dont_Run_On_Time, thanks for letting me know about Rowena Murray's book.

hi Elsie, I didn't know about listing manuscripts as submitted! I have seen some job adverts saying put include a sample of your work as well. Thank you so much.

I'll be working on my manuscript again today.
love satchi