Publishing thesis as a book or as articles

E

Hello all,

I defended my thesis two weeks ago. I started to think what is the next step? My supervisor adviced me to publish articles, my examiners adviced me to publish the thesis as a book.
I really like to publish my thesis as a book because I think it would be very useful for people who are interested in asylum and refuge issues. I addressed more than 500 judgments. I send a book proposal to a well-known publisher. After only three hours she replied with a very frustrating answer. Obviously she does not know anything about refugee law. But she asked me one important question, how will I convert the thesis to a book? In fact I don't know how to do that???? So, should I publish the thesis as a book or as articles? If I chose to publish it as a book, how to convert it to a book?

D

Which publisher was it? There are certainly some academic publisher that aren't very helpful for ECRs. Others are much more supportive.

E

Quote From DocInsanity:
Which publisher was it?

It was Cambridge university press. So strange, right?

T

I presume you would have to total restructure it in order to publish it as a book? Could you look for other books that you suspect may have been someone's thesis, and then find the thesis and see the differences?

Yes. Compare someone in your field's thesis (from say Ethos) with the version they eventually publish. Usuall they are completely re-written as they are directed at two different constituencies.