Qualitative analysis: NVivo, Word or Paper based?

G

Hi,

I'm transcribing some semi-structured interviews at the moment ready for thematic analysis. I'n the past I've always used traditional paper based methods to analyse my data. I'm wondering what other's experiences are of using different methods, particular Nvivo or Microsoft Word (as these are the only other software I know how to use). I did some Nvivo training but haven't had chance to use it till now.

For info, I have 18 interview transcripts of around 10 pages each and though it will be primarily a qualitative thematic analysis, I could also benefit from some quantitative content analysis too.

Thanks for reading

GM

K

I have found NVivo helpful for coding qualitative data. You still need to use your brain but the software helps to manage the process.

I actually find Word easiest. I'm not a fan of NVivo as I find it overly complicated and difficult to use, although it is good if there is a team of people who are working on the same project (especially if they are dispersed at a few different institutions and all need access to the data). But really seeing as all the analysis goes on in your brain - paper, Word or NVivo will all be fine, it depends on what you prefer.

G

Thanks for the advice. I decided to have a play with one of my transcripts on Nvivo and think I'm going to use that. I'll probably keep a couple of pages of handwritten notes and ideas on the go too as I have in the past to help me conceptualise the analysis. I like the idea of having my transcripts, codes and themes electronically organised.

Thanks again for the tips!