Qualitative Research Methods Chapter

T

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone had a source for a text that offered insights into how to construct a solid research methods chapter, particularly for qualitative social science research.

For clarity, I know what my method and approach is, but am struggling to piece it together (as a chapter) in a manner that is concise but still provides a solid overview of what I am doing and why.

Any would be most welcome.

E

What I did was read other theses. It helped me a lot with the structure of the whole thing

T

Quote From emmaki:
What I did was read other theses. It helped me a lot with the structure of the whole thing

Thank you for your response. Thus far, this is what I have tried to do, however, given how 'uncommon' my method approach is, reading other PhD theses isn't helping me move past this writers block.

Explain what you did and why you did it.

With unusual methods the best way forwards is to systematically break down your method explaining each step and justifying them (or honestly explaining). It will be hard to structure initially but keep trying and ask for friends to read it until it is concise. Abuse footnotes or appendices if you can, to explain the less relevant points that hamper the flow of text. If you can't explains something, just be honest as covering up possible flaws usually draws attention to them. As most readers will skim the methodology and if you can concisely explain a method, they usually agree with it.

T

Cheers for that Rewt. I think what I'll do is just spam everything in a word document, then remove irrelevant information, then construct proper sentences and paragraphs.