question on fellowship application

S

hi everyone,
I was looking at a funding scheme for researchers earlier today and it all looked as if I could apply for it -- UNTIL I read this part:
"Please provide a complete publication
record - in reverse chronological order. Please
indicate the two most significant publications (wit
hin
the last 5 years) with an asterisk*. Please give t
he
publisher or URL, including any password, where
these two publications may be obtained"

I don't have a fantastic list of publications, can I still apply?? Would it look silly? I have only ONE significant publication :-(

any advice?
thanks love satchi

It won't look silly- it will ether get binned as having insufficient publications, or treated on its merits. And of course it is also depending on the number of applicants. Gotta be worth a try!

S

Often these forms are standard across all disciplines for a particular university. So, in some disciplines and fields it is usual for PhD students to have lots and lots of papers published before they even finish, and in others it's great to have just one (well done on that BTW). Just because it's on the form doesn't mean you have to have these publications. They are definitely important, but they are just one element. You should go ahead and apply anyway, if nothing else it means you get some practice at filling in these applications.

Good luck with it!

A

Agree with Shoulder.

Disciplines like social sciences and humanities you are lucky to come out with one or two publications, whereas hard sciences you might have a heap of publications because you work in a larger research group/on a large research project (where even if you don't do any writing, you are still listed as an author if you help in running experiments etc).

S

hi Eds, shoulder and awsoci,
thanks for your replies. Just to let you know the latest with me --

I went to see my head of department yesterday and he told me that I needn't bother to apply for that fellowship due to their very rigorous selection process, he said I wouldn't stand a chance. He told me this in a very kind and tactful way.

I was glad I went to ask. I can't make the application without letters of recommendation etc.

As of funding for me now, it will run out end of this year. I will cross the bridge when I get to it. thanks again
love satchi