Question on timescales for a PhD in N.America ?

J

======= Date Modified 19 Jul 2012 19:35:59 =======

I'm thinking about doing a PhD in the USA or Canada. I'm only a little way into finding out about their systems over there, but I have some quesitons. I'm hoping you guys can answer? I'll try to make them as clear as possible, but they might be quite ambiguous as a reflection of my naivety on the subject.

1. The general impression I get is that tertiary education systems in the USA and Canada are quite similar in comparison to the UK. Canada seems to have a stronger leaniance towards state over private Institutions but this may be because highbrow private US universities steal some limelight from USA state universities?

2. PhDs seem to take slightly longer (4 to 6 years instead of 3 to 4 in the UK). But the first 2 years seem to resemble Msc courses in the UK - they feature taught elements and things instead of pure research. I allready have an MEng degree with 1st class honours so I'm not really interested in a Msc in the UK. I am aware that some USA universities will allow you to skip the first two years if you have a USA Master's (a USA master's is 2 years but a UK master's can be completed in one depending on the effort you commit). Is my MEng degree similar enough to a USA Master's to allow me to enter a PhD direct-entry style (ie: end of second year)? I realise the entry requirements will vary depending on each university, but I want a generalised answer. How common is skipping-the-first-two-years-because-you-already-have-a-master's style entry in the USA for US Citizens?

If I have no choice but to study for 4 to 6 years it still won't put me off the USA and Canada. sorry for the wall of text

I can't comment much and needs a US-based person to comment. However, US PhDs (as well as having a larger committe to watch over the candidate) have a 'gradschool' to go through with a taught element in the first couple of years prior to you getting dug into the research proper.

My blog is from a UK perspective, but it might help a little as many of the problems apply regardless of where you do your PhD.

http://www.wearthesis.talktalk.net

Can anyone help?

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)