Questions about contacting potential supervisors

L

======= Date Modified 06 49 2009 12:49:38 =======
Please see below for the very first reply made by myself.

I quoted my original posting there. Sorry for the inconvenience.

L

Quote From lighthouse:

======= Date Modified 06 31 2009 12:31:15 =======

Hello.

I have a BSc in Psychology (2:2(59.83%), 2007) and an MSc in Neuroscience (Pass (53%),2008) and I have recently started considering doing a PhD about paranoia. So, I am thinking of contacting potential supervisors in one institute, but I don't know much about how to do this. So, I would very much appreciate it if someone would answer my questions, which are...

- I haven't done much reading on the topic of my interest. In this case, should I just contact the potential supervisor right away or should I do some reading first? If so, how thorough should it be? Very thorough (e.g. reading all their articles)? Or rarely thorough (e.g.reading only the abstracts of their articles)?

- What is going to happen or what should I do after contacting the potential supervisor? (All I heard is that the potential supervisor will(or might) help me develop a research proposal.)

- Any general advice?

I would be grateful for answers to any of those questions.

B

Hi there,

I'm doing a PhD in Psychology

Well, first question is when would you want to start?

Have you identified potential supervisors already, or potential institutions?

B.xx

L

Thank you for your message, bobby.

I would like to start some time after September this year or early next year.

I also identified 4 potential supervisors at one institution (Institute of Psychiatry).

Thanks.

B

Okay, do you need funding?

L

My father says he will provide it, but I would prefer not to depend on him.

So, I'd like to apply for funding for myself. If I'll have to wait until August next year or even later, I'll be fine with that.

B

Okay, well, if you want to apply for funding, its definitely too late for this year's intake, so you would be looking at a Sept' 2010 start. I happen to know that IOP have already had their interviews and offered their places.

Even if you wanted to start this year, you might be pushing it. I don't want to dishearten you too much, but the truth of the matter is that the exam grades that you have aren't brilliant and leaving it this late doesn't look good. You have to remember that competition for places such as the IOP are extremely tough, and standards are very high.

With regards to contacting potential supervisors, I recommend that you read their work first. They are very busy and do not entertain people who do not know what they're talking about. I happened to be in the room just before Christmas when my supervisor (who is partially based at the IOP) received an email from a prospective student. She laughed at the lateness of it.

So, now, with all of this in mind, I recommend that you do some research now, and find out what really lights your fire. Then, I'd contact potential supervisors for a possible 2010 PhD. This way you'll look keen and organised, as opposed to giving out the vibe that "you couldn't think of anything better to do". I don't mean this is how you are, but this is how it will come across to them (the academic ego is a sensitive thing - treat it with care :-)).

Finally, I would spend this year getting some RA work in order to show that you are keen and enthusiastic about your subject (I know you have a masters and I really don't mean this in a mean way, but your grades aren't impressive, and they're going to want to see a hell of a lot more to convince them). Good references will go a long way too.

Out of interest, where are your BSc and MSc from?

B.xx

L

Thanks a lot for your advice! I find it very practical and realistic, and thus very very helpful.

I also see that you took care not to hurt my feelings. I appreciate your sensitivity.

By the way, my BSc is from Royal Holloway, University of London, and my MSc is from Institute of Psychiatry.

Also out of interest, where are you studying now? There's no need to tell me if you'd prefer not to. :)

B

Hi Lighthouse,

Well, having an MSc from IOP will definitely go in your favour I would say! I'm at ICN/ UCL.

I think that if you really want to do it, and are genuinely interested, then this will shine through!

Best of luck :-)

L

Thanks a lot, bobby!

I'll be sure to have firm and high motivation before applying for a PhD course.

I also wish you best of luck with your PhD at ICN/ UCL. :)