Questions regarding going back for a PhD

L

I would like to go back and earn my PhD in Philosophy...I am 30 now, so I finished my BA in philosophy some time ago. I was looking for any advise on starting this process. Specifically, my mentor from undergraduate has left the program and is no where to be found. Add to that the two other professors I was close to have retired without leaving forwarding information. I am nervous that I will not have letters of recommendation. Any way to deal with this situation? Should I audit undergrad glasses for the next year to build new relationships?

Thank you,

D

hi, have you asked your old department? It must be possible to return to academic work without recomemendation letters from the actual people who taught you first time round. They might have left their posts just after you finished for a variety of good reasons, without it adversely affecting what you wish to do.

Perhaps someone at your previous department could write a letter reflecting your work and accomplishments there, even if they didn't know you personally?

Is returning to University something you've wanted to do for a while? do you think it's something you think you'd have to do now, or do you feel you could come to it later as well?
Just interested because that's my situation, though I've had a career in an R&D environment, so Uni work would not be that different

best wishes

D

hi, have you asked your old department? It must be possible to return to academic work without recomemendation letters from the actual people who taught you first time round. They might have left their posts just after you finished for a variety of good reasons, without it adversely affecting what you wish to do.

Perhaps someone at your previous department could write a letter reflecting your work and accomplishments there, even if they didn't know you personally?

Is returning to University something you've wanted to do for a while? do you think it's something you think you'd have to do now, or do you feel you could come to it later as well?
Just interested because that's my situation, though I've had a career in an R&D environment, so Uni work would not be that different

best wishes

J

Hi
You might think about going back and doing a Masters first - it's a big jump from BA to PhD and being away from studying for a considerable time makes it harder.  I graduated in 1988, qualified as an accountant in 1992, took my MA (part-time) in 1998, my MSc (full time) 2005, PGCLTHE 2008 and have just started my PhD. I don't think I could have gone straight to PhD having been away from studying for so long even with my MA.
As far as references etc are concerned, the university should be able to provide these - when I wanted references from my MA (when the course leader had died) the department were really helpful
good Luck