Quick application advice needed

V

Hello,

This is probably a really daft question, but I would still be grateful for some advice.
I want to apply for a studentship with the deadline being this Friday.
Upon initial contact with the supervisor a month ago I stupidly stated that I had an MSc (truth behold I was actually waiting for it to be awarded to me). However, me being as stupid as I was and universities being as slow as they are, I still do not have an official certificate or anything and I doubt that it'll arrive before the deadline. Because I need to upload my application electronically and transcripts/certificates should usually be included do you reckon it's ok if I just put down my average grade and state that I am still waiting for my certificate or shall I e-mail the supervisor again and explain the situation?

S

I would e-mail your supervisor and explain, but also request an official transcript of your marks in your MSc from your Uni. The actual certificate shouldn't matter that much.

K

I would email and explain- your situation isn't that unusual, I didn't get my final MSc results until the following January, when I was already 4 months into my PhD, so it shouldn't be an issue. Just explain and perhaps offer to send a transcript of the marks you have to date, or a supporting letter from your MSc supervisor, who should be able to state that you are expected to be awarded your MSc whenever. My supervisor also put my expected MSc grade on a PhD application, as she knew a couple of months before me what I was going to be awarded- it just had to be moderated before it was official. Your sup might be able to do that for you too. Good luck! KB