quick tech Q

P

Hi all

I just got a DELL laptop (new) and it's come with something called ubuntu or similar (linux stuff)

I have tried it and want my WINDOWS and not linux. What should I do? Buy Windows 2007 or something and then how do I go about this?

I hate this ubuntu thingy!:-s

J

Hi,

The IT dept at the uni I used to work at provided all the software they had, just charging a deposit, which included Windows, maybe your uni does the same, would save you a lot of money.

A

Could be wrong but I thought the operating system was something you can't change. The computer will be built for that operating system. Like I can't run Windows on my Mac (for me, thankfully!). You can get PC emulators, so I actually can run Windows on my Mac, but only cos it fools Windows it is a PC. Maybe you can get the same of Linux? I've found that it makes it run very slow though (I only use it when I need to use MS Access) so I don't think it is the best solution. Could be wrong though, maybe you can get Windows for Linux, but I thought they were both operating systems, so you can't have two.

P
W

Hi, if you have a mate who's a bit tech savvy you can install Windows 7 RC1, which you can use for free for a year. All you need to do is download it from the Microsoft Website, burn it on a DVD as an ISO and install it from there. Heard a lot of good things about it and since you can use it for free for a year before paying for it - it ain't all bad.

If you need any further help and advice, I'd recommend the technical help section of the PC Format (www.pcformat.co.uk). They're a lovely group of people and they'll tell you exactly what you need to do. I always go there when I have technical problems.

Hope this helps (up)