Quit what now?

H

Registered 2008. I was bullied to the point of a breakdown by my supervisor, because I asked to change or get a 2nd supervisor, starting 2010. This resulted in closing of ranks, I ended up losing my job as a lecturer as well. The supervisor was also my line manager. I had evidence of bullying, discrimination, setting up for failure, etc.The Uni took a year for each stage of academic complaint.

I was going to go to court, oak, etc, but was advised by my lawyer to give in to a compromise agreement (to avoid further deterioration in my health) and to move on - which also gave a good, factual reference of my work and research achievements and a letter that I had "left" the organisation and was allowed to take my research data with me.

Now, one year on, I cannot seem to find a new PhD post, the reluctant settlement is almost gone on therapy but I have a "good cv" in a small world.

I discovered that I am still "technically registered" but no one has asked for fees. Is there any Universities that that transfer of research work or was this a good way to end my quest for a PhD. One of the threats I always got was "if I wanted to leave, I would have to go and spend another six years elsewhere". I wish I had, then - 2011 before two years of academic complaint and one year of sickness.

Is it worth trying in a University in Europe or Australia for a Transfer, or am I better off either forgetting I ever wanted a PhD or simply starting over. I have some conference publications, a Masters with Distinction from a Top School before I took this "great opportunity of a lifetime" .

S

I guess it depends on your field but i would try to continue in a different university. There are plenty of good unis in Europe and they have programmes in English. I had friends who gave up on academia, then hated the private sector and started another phd programme from the beginning.

T

You will probably find it easier to start a new PhD rather than transfer at this stage.