Quiting PhD, how to address it?

J

I am one of those people, who have realised that a PhD is not for me. I have a good studentship, an amazing project and yet, i do not enjoy it and it does not motivate me to wake up every morning. I want to completely opt out from science, yet i feel like i am being a quitter, therefore i want to try and at least push to get an Mphil....

I am just about to finish up my first year and supposed to write up a report for a transfer. I would like to change that in order to get an mphil instead, or perhaps to push my phd to minimal limits and still go though it. I have heard that a minimal PhD registration time is 2 years. Is it even possible to produce a scientific (systems biology) phd in such a short time??? i could definitely push myself though another year of misery, but not another 3 years... (i have a 4 year studentship)

I am wondering, how is it best to bring up to my supervisor and advisor that I want to quit? I am quite an emotional person so i would find it hard not to tear up as i feel like they think i am not competent enough for all of this and just giving up (perhaps my personal issue of attitude that i should never be a quitter)...

I have already had conversations with my supervisor that things are not going so smooth over the past year, this had to do with my PI's attitude towards the way i work (i have a varied schedule, one day could be 12 hours, another day 5 hours, etc. and he wants me there 9-5 every day like a robot.), but i have generated a chapter of results already, so really i think it is just a conflicting way of thinking from both of us, as to my view, i have tried my best and pushed myself to the limits over the past year.

How would employers look at me if i have an MPhil ? How do you explain them when they ask "why you have quit your PhD"?

Anyone with experience?

Many thanks!

D

I just wanted to say how impressed I am by your integrity.

To answer your q, I would read an MPhil gained on 2 years differently to one obtained over 5.

But having said that, an MPhil in any situation is a perfectly decent qualification.

HTH

C

As Dr Strangelove said, what a commendable attitude. Your post certainly shows strength, determination and honesty. I would say explaining your situation just like this to your bosses is completely acceptable; afterall what your words say to me is not that you want to quit, but you want to transfer to another program, another mode of study that will give you a different qualification. I think an honest discussion might be what you need. Good luck *internet hugs*

Are ou quitting because you do not feel a PhD is for you or because of your PI's attitude towards your work? I assume your PI (primary investigator???) and primary supervisor are the same person?

If this is due to difficulties with your supervision, could you look to talking these problems though or asking for a change in the supervision team as a last resort? It happens that sometimes certain personalities cannot work together (no-one's fault, it just happens) and a change of supervisor to someone you can work with may make all the difference.

I know this situation all too well, having had supervisors I could work with reasonably well during PhD and a first post-doc, but stuck with a couple of people I couldn't work with during a very damaging second post-doc.

You haveve got funding for to the whole period? I wouldn't throw away the chance so readily.

I will point out in the real world you'll be expected to follow the 9 to 5 routine (or rather the 9 to whenever the work is finished routine).

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)