quiting the PhD

G

I am on the verge of quiting my PhD tomorrow. I have been trying to work hard to make a progress in the project since I started the PhD, unfortunaltely, there is no enough guidence for me, are not allowed to do what I want in the project. Just wondering if anyone can give me an advice on how I can tell my supervisor " I am going to leave the lab" I want to leave the lab with no harm to anoyboy. But I don't want to blame anyone. Thanks a lot

Cheers

F

Don't give up just yet, instead of telling your supervisor you quit, why don't you explain to him/her the difficulties you are having. Maybe they are not aware that you are struggling. Maybe they are pushing you in a particular direction because it will make a stronger thesis, which will make you more likely to succeed and become a Dr. Please talk to them before quitting, I'm sure they'll do everything in their power to help you. Nobody wants you fail. Best of luck, I'll be thinking of you. FFxx

G

Thanks
I had already talked to them and explained the situation in which I am. Meanwhile, I already talked to the progrramme co-coordinator to make them understand. Unfortunately, I have the same feelings....

R

Dear Gene,

often it not so much the topic but the work environment which causes stress and disappointment. If this would be the case then it might be useful to try and change something regarding this.
Vice versa if you cannot change things at work you may be able to change something in your leizure time (for example sports etc) to counterbalance your work / work environment.
I am aware these are cliches but they may help.
I try to see work as only a small part (yet important part)of my life which can be closed at a specific time, and then try to have a good time (sports, cinema etc.) This may avoid burn out.

F

Rick's right, but the aspect of your life that you're not happy with has a tendency to become all consuming. You should do what feels right to you, if they've made you really miserable don't worry too much about burning bridges. These things can always be mended in the future.

G

I did it

U

What did you do? Take the sound advice of the forum users on board and re-think or quit?

If you chose to take the latter option-don't expect any sympathy as it's only depressing other PhD students on here who are dedicated to complete the task!

R

How did they take it? Sounds as though it was the right thing to do, well done it takes courage to make a decision and following it through any thoughts about what you'll do next?

U

You must be joking, Rah.

"Well done" you say.

Well done for what? for not completing a PhD like so many other's. No matter how unsatisfying the situation was (and it is for thousands of other PhD students who nevertheless complete), quitting is not a successful action!

U

and by the way: you say "it must take courage to make a decision and following it through"--> exactly. Our friend here took the decision to start a PhD but did not follow it through so you are contradicting yourself, Rah..

R

I think it best to address the problem and take appropriate action rather than sit on it and wait for it to get worse. PhD's aren't for everyone, and sometimes other issues and politics get in the way. I think it's brave to make the decision that is right for you - better than suffering for 3 years (assuming it really isn't going well) Life's too short.

G

No joking. Firstly, they took it well despite they did not expect me to that. Second, the reason behind the decision was to make more dedication for science than I did there, where I was a PhD student. Cheers guys. I will start a PhD very soon again.

U

not very convincing at all.

You might start a new one, but you won't complete it, that's for sure. You appear to lack perseverance and dedication.

G

You are free to think like that. But the problem is that you are unaware of what I have encountered during the PhD study. I am only changing the scientific atmosphere, in which I can work with more productive than I did

L

Come on ULUG, just cos you might be having a crap time with your PhD don't act like such a martyr. If Gene has no flexibility in what he/she is supposed to be doing for their PhD then they are basically a glorified research assistant and will come out of their PhD with letters after their name but without the necessary skills to be a decent researcher, what's the point in that?