Quitting

G

After only a few months I feel like quitting my PhD, not because i don't enjoy the subject, it is more of the case that my supervisors are constantly nasty (and bitchy). its an intimidating atmosphere. I am funded so does anyone know if i should quit, and if i do so do i need to pay the studentship back? which is why quitting is more than a passing thought

G

...will understand how crucial it is to have good relationships with your supervisors. If you are having problems with your supervision, talk to your Research degrees coordinator, Research support unit or Research administrator. If you feel unable to discuss the matter with them, have a chat with the University student counsellor or chaplain. The University has a duty to ensure that your supervisory team are supportive. I really hope that you can get through these difficulties and can successfully complete your research program. Best of luck.

G

Think long and hard before deciding to leave your research project. As can be seen from reading the postings on this forum, the number of funded studentships available are far less than the demand for them. The fact that you have already left one PhD project may make it more difficult for you to find another. Having said that, no project is worth it if it is making you miserable. It takes a lot of guts to admit you are not happy and to leave. I think anyone who has ever been involved in PhD research... - Continues below -