RAH! Incompetent Staff!!!

S

Hi everyone!
As part of my studentship I have to teach at Uni, which I actually really enjoy, apart from the fact that some of the staff are absolutely incompetent! My dept has a general deadline for all essays which was 5th December. The dept has a policy that all essays that are unproblematic (so not bad practice, plagiarism or late) are returned within 2 weeks, if there are problems the essay should be returned within 4 weeks. I have always stuck to this rigidly as I know how many of my students rely on feedback.
Today I received an email from the School Office to say that an essay that should have been give to me to mark was given to a part-time member of staff. The essay was submitted on 12th Dec, so a week late, but the other member of staff only informed the school office today (rather than as soon as she realised that she should not have it). I seriously think she should be spoken to about this
Anyway, the office have now asked if I can go into uni to mark this essay asap. Whilst I normally would do this, I spent the whole of yesterday having biopsies and all this morning and early afternoon having blood tests taken (bloods are always traumatic for me, they always have to try 5/6 places before they can draw), and I have needlemarks all over my hands and arms. Although I don't want to let the student whose essay it is down (they have already been messed about by this other member of staff), I think it is really out of order to expect me to come in given the circumstances - and the fact this was caused by a different member of staff (and a school office mistake!).

S

I should also say that I have already marked over 60 essays and did so within the timescales (including a number of plagiarisms) as I knew this medical treatment was coming. Had the other member of staff informed me earlier, I would have happily marked the work.

Hi Sleepy Head,

I really think they should either get the essay to you (they could scan and email it), or get someone else to mark it. Surely given your current situation they could do that. Also what if you had another commitment at this time, they don't own you all the time, just for a few hours a week!!

You have my sympathy, organisation doesn't seem to be a strong point in alot of unis.

H

Tell them to take a flying jump!

R

That's a bit cheeky on their part - it's their mistake, not yours. Get them to post it to you by recorded delivery or something, our dept have done that in the past when staff can't come in for good reason. And suggest they take a photocopy of it first, in case they mess that up too ;-)

I hope you get the results you want from the biopsies too.

D

i have a question
how do you find out that a student is doing plagiarism? just out of curiosity.
thanks

S

Its pretty easy really to spot a plagiarism - changes in writing patterns within a piece of work, phrasing, terminology... why do you ask?

S

Decided to go in to uni tomorrow (even though I'm not meant to be driving). If they post the essay to me, and then I return it it'll take a week, this way the student can get it back tomorrow - which given they have already been waiting 6 weeks is fairly necessary. I just hope no-one sees me, all these needle marks make me look like a complete smackhead, and although I can wear long sleeves I can't exactly wear gloves indoors.
Will tell the Head of Dept though that I am really unhappy at the situation - he's the only member of staff I have told that I am not very well - and I want him to talk to this other tutor, and I want an apology from her.
- Get the biopsy results in 3 weeks. Consultant seems very positive its treatable, so that's good. But doesn't my body know I am in my third year and very very busy!?!? Its so rude to start breaking down already, I'm only 27!:-s

K

Sorry to hear of ur troubles!

I woudl strongly suggest that you make a complaint about this, mentioning the fact that a policy has been in place to ensure all essays are marked within the time frame. Also seeing as you have already marked the esaay, inform them under no circumstances will you be remarking someones work due to some one elses imcompetence. Its unfair for one person to pick up the slack and allowing other peopel to slack off especially when your not well!!

Hope all goes well with the biopsies!