really disheartened

N

Basically my thread title says it all. Apologies for the length of this post which carries on below.

I am a funded PhD student in English literature who is ready to quit, not because I want too but because I feel like I have no choice. I started off loving my PhD as I really love my research. My issues hinge around my supervision. Basically I did my undergrad and masters with the same supervisor. I had a second supervisor but she was never involved and showed little interest.

I was told in January this year that my supervisor would be retiring and I would get two new sups, however come April, not much happened. Also my supervisor never told me any of this, others did, as he clearly could not be bothered. Anyway it turns out he wanted to carry on with me as his doctoral student, and he was given permission. By this point worries had really set in, as I was told by a number of people, including two of his final year PhD's that he was a really bad supervisor. One student actually told me they got major corrections in their viva on issues that his supervisor should have picked up on from the start, such as the thesis covering much too long a period. I was then told, again not by him, that as he had retired he could no longer be my first supervisor and instead had to become my second. So, a new supervisor was appointed at the start of summer. I sent her all of my current chapters, and she came back with a LOT of issues, largely the structure. Apparently my original supervisor was guiding me badly and there is major changes that need done. This would be fine, but as of yet I still haven't had a meeting with my new supervisor as she is always away. So, I have no idea what changes I need to do and cant touch my thesis as the structure is bad and I don't know what she wants.

(contd. below)

N

I am also having issues with my original supervisor as any work I send him he posts, yes POSTS, his feedback to me. This feedback is minimal at best, and neglectful at worst. It is usually two sentences, hard to read and as he doesn't use online marking systems to get it back to me it takes ages to receive. He is also poor at replying. Needless to say I am trying to keep going with other things at the moment and I drafted an article a journal showed interest in. I sent the draft to my original sup as the new one was away, and I revised it to his suggestions. Suffice to say the editor came back immediately with issues, and I was extremely embarrassed. I spent a week revising it to a much better spec, as the editors' comments were very detailed and very useful. He taught me a lot actually. However, he taught me what my supervisor should have. Also important to note is that my original supervisor is incredibly prominent in his field and has a very high volume of publications so he does know what needs to be done.

Anyway, I am literally at the end of my rope. So, I went to speak to my new supervisor this week by just dropping in unexpectedly, and told her how fed up I was. This included that I want to arrange a meeting asap as I really want to get work done. I basically found out she thought I was a part-time student, not full-time. She seemed slightly shocked when I said 'actually, I'm full-time and supposed to be finishing end of 2017'. I don't know if finding this out means that her attitude will change, but the fact that she didn't know has really gotten me down.

(contd. below)

N

This is because as a funded student, they are supposed to really keep on top of us. This is so that we don't fail or fall behind as they will have serious explaining to do due to the investment in us. After she found out I'm full time, she also tried to say that my original supervisor is the topic expert as he knows what I am doing. She also said that she is my first supervisor 'on paper' and will help where she can. Basically it sounded a complete cop out, and my supervisors really don't seem to give a s**t about me or my work.

I began to question everything, so I asked a friend to show me some of her feedback for her chapters, from her own supervisors. Needless to say they have pointed out grammar issues, structure issues and suggestions for readings which apparently supervisors should do. I have never had anything like this, and it is in no way because I am perfect because I definitely know I need help.

If anything I am now feeling as though they don't feel I am worth getting through the PhD. I work hard, I got a first class honours in my undergrad and I received my masters, all with a young family and disability. I work hard, and they should know this. I can also take (and really want) constructive criticism as I know it significantly helps me improve. But I feel as though the new supervisor feels she's here too late, and therefore making excuses. And my original supervisor I just now feel is a waste of time. I also feel I should have had more involvement from other members of staff, considering I have since found out my original supervisor has never gotten a PhD student through the PhD successfully without major issues.

I really feel like I've been left out high and dry, and it has made me seriously doubt my own ability and even finishing the course.

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

T

Hi, Nova,

It is understandable why you are disheartened. A few questions/ points:

1) Have you met with the postgraduate coordinator or graduate student administrator? There is one in every institute who takes care of all PhD students. Can you have a chat with this person and see what he or she can do for you? Perhaps he/she can have an urgent meeting with all your supervisors to make sure that everything is on track. You might even need a third supervisor.

2) How much do you want this PhD? If it is worth it, then persevere on till completion. There will be lots of tears, but continue on. Get some help/support from the other PhD students, your seniors if you can. If you have completely lost interest and the project is beyond saving, you might want to think about finishing at this point for the sake of your own sanity. Only you can decide though. If you choose to go, write it up as an MPhil and either get a job, or try a PhD again under someone else. There is nothing wrong with doing a PhD again a second time round. Don't just walk away with nothing. An MPhil on your CV is better for future job and PhD prospects.

3) You can perhaps go for student counselling as well. See if you can talk to Student Services or someone from the Students Union. Unfortunately your case is not unique. There are many bad supervisors out there, who have gone on to ruin many otherwise promising students' careers. And the problem is, quite a lot of them do get away with it to repeat the cycle with another student.

4) If thesis structure is a problem, I wonder if you can talk to any other senior researcher in your institute. Perhaps someone from your thesis committee/reviewer panel. Arrange a meeting in confidence and ask for help. You can also ask other postdocs, even those not from your group, for their advice. Employ a proof reader too, if that helps.

Take care.

N

Thank you very much for your reply. I do really want my PhD. I have given very near two years to it, and I don't want to see my time wasted. I also still enjoy my research and that is why the journal showing interest in the article gave me some much needed confidence. I have now been told this morning, it is away for peer review.

What is really getting me down is my confidence now. The new supervisor really does not like how the original supervisor wanted the structure and layout of the thesis. I have no problems doing changes, I just wish I knew what they are. I also worry that since my new supervisor is showing little interest in addressing it, that they really don't think the thesis/me are worth their time. And their cop out when they found out I was full time, by saying they were my first supervisor 'on paper' made me feel worse.

I don't understand it, I am very active in the university PG activities and I always try to do lots to help the dept. The heads of our dept know me, and know I am a hard worker. Yet I feel like I am falling through the cracks and everyone is letting it. I am in a difficult position with my new supervisor because the person who I would need to go to to discuss my worries, is her close friend and mentor. Already, I know she will take her side.

No, I haven't met with the PG coordinator. They have recently changed, and none of us PhD's were told, and as of yet I have not yet met the new one. I think I may have to arrange an urgent meeting though. In regards to other PhD's, only one would be a friend, and we can speak honestly about the PhD. The others all pretend everything is going really well and they have no issues.

I do think student counselling would be a big help, so thank you for that.

T

Arrange for a meeting ASAP with your PG coordinator. You will feel a lot more confident after talking to someone who has the capability of helping you or making essential changes that may be the determining factor between you having a pass with minor corrections or having major/revise and resubmit. As you said, you have invested 2 years of your life and do not have long left to spare. Do yourself a favour and talk to him/her SOON. Make sure you plan 1) What are my problems that I want to discuss? and 2) What are the outcomes I want? and 3) What are the interventions i possibly need? Do not go into the meeting unprepared. It is a waste of time for you and your PG coordinator.

You said your new supervisor really does not like how the original supervisor wanted the structure and layout of the thesis and shows little interest. To be frank, this happens all the time when a new primary supervisor takes over. It is after all, NOT their project. You have to work to get their interest. So rewrite your thesis structure and outline and send it to her, to show your initiative. Arrange for a meeting to present your data/work to date in a concise and easy to understand manner. Be POSITIVE when you meet with her. This is HARD, but eventually she will come round. No one wants to see an unhappy student who whines or looks down all the time. In fact, people might avoid you because nobody likes trouble. You can save your whining for your close family and friends unrelated to your workplace. All these might sound harsh, but unfortunately, it is the reality of life in academia.

T

Your social life needs to change too. You need more friends and mentors. Try going to networking events or student seminars and talk to people. Do not tell people your problems the first time you talk to them. Try to see their interest and get them interested in your project and then you as a human being. Again, be POSITIVE and CHEERFUL, even if it feels like crap inside. Eventually, you will make new friends, maybe even new mentors. Do not limit yourself to your group or even your institute. Do not even limit yourself to people in academia. Talk to salesrep for scientific equipment or in your case books, too. You will be very surprised at how many of these people are PhD holders from various backgrounds. Once you change your personal outlook, the people around you will start to change too. They will begin to empathise with you because they know what a good person you are (The situation might be shit, but not you). Talk to the head of department (not to whinge about your work, but to add value and build relationship). This will be beneficial to you beyond your PhD.

These are the advices that I can give to you. Above all, hang on and don't give up. A PhD is a symbol of perseverance and resilience, not brilliance. All smart people can start a PhD, but not all can finish. As a person who went through 4 years of hell in the hands of my PhD supervisors (Unfortunately, people with power can sometimes intentionally inflict pain because they can. Deal with it), I can also tell you that, while you cannot change the circumstances sometimes, you can change yourself and the potential outcomes by seeking the right people (after many many trials and tribulations, and possibly rejections, and tears, heartaches, etc) and not breaking internally.

Take care.

T

Hi Nova

I agree with what Tru is saying here. I would add, as simple as it might seem, write down 1) the challenge/situation, 2) the impact is has had on you (maybe just copy and paste what you've written here into a document) 3) your resolve to get through it and why you want to get through it, and 4) what ways you are going to address it by (e.g., counselling, attend seminars, keeping a positive attitude, and some of the other excellent suggestions put here by Tru plus more ideas of your own).

It sounds a bit trivial but it has always worked for me when facing an extremely challenging situation. I find I'm able to look at my reflection and plan, which encourages me to keep on persevering. You learn a lot about yourself too - like which of those strategies actually works for you.

What Tru says about having a positive attitude despite the circumstance is so true. You'll end up feeling better and because you're positive you make other people feel good about being around you and chatting to you.

All the best
Tudor