Really in need of good advice: I'm late finishing my funded PhD & have an interview for a full-time

T

I'm in the UK and I am only being funded for 3 years (although I am allowed 1 extra year to finish).

I have:

- Three out of four empirical chapters written up

- A Fourth empirical chapter that needs to be written up

- Unedited Intro (First) and Discussion (Last) chapters in serious need of reference checks.

Also: I volunteer in a hospital for 3 hours on a Tuesday and in the community for 3 hours on a Friday (These have really helped me to get the interview).

I've been offered an interview for a full time job which I need to pay the bills! The power dynamic is a bit weird between me and my advisor, with him advising me along the way with everything I should do to become a researcher without really asking what I want out of the process - he is highly assertive and at times downright irritable. I want to become a clinician and getting this job will put me on the right path (although a PhD that is dragging on a bit might not paint me out in a great light either).

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to approach this situation with my advisor? I require him to be my reference too, so I really can't afford to upset him. What is the best way to communicate all of this to him?

T

You need to tell him of your situation, clearly, simply and without emotion. Hopefully he will see sense, if not, do what you need to anyway.

Don't forget, you don't have the job yet, so might be best not to rock the boat too soon.

C

Hi Tirred! It sounds like you have quite a lot written up already! You don't say what stage you are at, I'm guessing you're coming to the end of 3rd year and beginning the unfunded year? I'm at that stage although I managed to get another 6 months of funding and I have only half the amount written up as you do!

Would the job need you to start right away or could you have wiggle room to try and get as much PhD work done as possible before starting?

I would approach do as TreeofLife says and try and talk to your advisor coolly, explain your financial needs and hopefully he will see your side of the story.

B

As others have said, wait until you have the job in the bag before talking to your supervisor. If you get the job, then a good thing to bring to the discussion with your supervisor will be a (realistic) timeline for completion. Keep in mind too that switching to full time work can delay your submission date significanty, especially if you are starting a new job. Hence, get as much done as you can while you are still full time (assuming you still are).