Really tired need motivation

A

======= Date Modified 14 34 2010 20:34:51 =======
I'm really tired and physically drained.. i have to hand in my thesis end of next week and i'm still editting. . and i still have an abstract to write, list of abbreviations and Final conclusions plus future work.

Can anyone help motivate me pleaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeeeee :$

C

You can do it! Mine is due Tuesday and I wish I only had editing left. I have to substantially re-write half a chapter and re-write much of the conclusion, as well as put the appendices together!

I have to do it, so I shall! (I hope!)

Good luck! You're so close!

A

Hi Chrisrolinski .. i feel better that we are in this together now :p.. well i am edditing my appendices now then i will put them together.. That will take me all night. Then tomorrow i will have to start on the abstract and the final chapter which is (conclusions + Future work).
Good luck .. keep me updated of how your getting on :-)

F

You can do it. It's the final, final stretch and you'll be there soon - best of luck!

B

One tip from me: I wrote my abstract after the conclusions, so that I could use my most important conclusions in my abstract. Basically I took the first paragraph or so from my intro chapter, added a bit about historiography (existing research) and methodology, then summarised my chapter structure, and summarised my final conclusions, basically drawing on the final paragraph of my last chapter. It was written in just a few minutes that way, rather than agonising over it. And I did the really important thing in an abstract, which is to emphasize your contribution.

Good luck for the last push! If you can just keep going for a bit you can have a massive rest afterwards :)

A

Thanks Fig and thanks Bilbo for the advice.. so i'll do my final chapter first instead .. Hopefully will start that tomorrow

A

Well im going to sleep now, had enough for the day

M

You're almost there!! Keep going!! Soon it'll be over! (up)

I can't wait til I'm in your position, when the end is clearly in sight!

Good luck!! You can do it!

A

Thanks Montezuma :-)

V

Hello Amanda and others
Think of the conclusions chapter as a final door into your thesis for your readers. Many examiners normally read the Abstract first, the Introducions chapter next and then the Conclusions Chapter before they read the entire thesis. I do! Thus, the conclusions chapter is necessarily relatively short, focussed, non-repetitive of earler text and convincing. It needs to justify the scholarly mertit of your work by aligning your conceptual conclusions with extant related published work. Apart from answering your reseach questions and jutifying your research design, this is the most critical feature of the chapter. It is where your to have made a modest contribution to knowldge that is reasonable, supported by evidence and defensible is carefully advanced.
Dont overwrite but do argue your belief in the merit of your scholarship.
Best wishes (up)

A

Hi Vernontrafford .. thanks for your advice, it has helped alot. :-)(up)

A

I am meant to submit my thesis tomorrow but cant hand in becuase sup has not corrected one of my chapters yet...really down :-( and sick of being in the house

O

Any luck getting those corrections back Amanda? I hope so and if no you're almost there--at least the delay isn't your fault!

I found this thread 5 days before I have to submit my whole thesis to my supervisors for approval to send to the reading committee and the advice on conclusion writing was really helpful--now to try to turn out a short conclusion chapter and see what's happening outside, where I've not been for so many days...

A

Hi Oddnumbers.. well.. no not yet.. i was meant to have this in last Friday, but i guess if things go smoothly it wont be till next Friday. I Just want to have a life now which i have lacked for the past three years and a half !!!!... And yeah the advice about the conclusions on here was really helpful to me too.

Anyway keep in touch and tell us how things are going on with u :)