Reference management software: which did / do you use?

F

why? and would you recommend it?

Heard the go-to was Endnote, but what I've heard hasn't been terribly good. I heard Zotero was decent and LaTex was amazing (especially for CV's). My literature coding should be done by the summer, so I would like some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

D

I use Mendeley for the general literature management, sorting, commenting and syncing. Most of the time I write in Latex though, so coupled with Bibtex for references. Mendeley can export its libraries to Bibtex, but I also have a bunch of manual Bibtex libraries (since I only started using Mendeley this year).

Basically, Latex/Bibtex is just wonderful for the bibliography part of your publication or thesis, because it is amazingly customizable and as automated as possible. You could change your mind about citation and bibliography styles every other day and it wouldn't be a problem. Insert the tag as you write and it will always link to the right publication (like most people I tag them with AuthorYear because it's the simplest way to get unique tags/identifiers).

What I love about Mendeley is that I can throw any remotely interesting article in my library, read it later, add highlights and comments, sort them into subfolders. Any relevant publication info and abstract is automatically read and added. It has automated file-naming and syncing across devices (which is lovely for working at home with all the journal articles you can access at work/uni).
One thing I often wish was more automated is the addition of the PDF files. It automatically downloads and links the file if it is a freely available article (Pubmed Central, for example), but generally doesn't if it is a paywall article that I have access to. Even if I am staring right at the opened PDF article, I have to manually download it and link it to the Mendeley entry of the article (which is created with one click on the Mendeley bookmark). Call me lazy, but I wish I could save that step, although I am not sure if that is technically possible. Maybe it's not Mendeley's fault.

T

I used Endnote during my masters, but then when I left university I did not have a licence anymore. I tried Mendeley and I really liked it, however, I heard from people who had serious problems (e.g. links to papers disappearing) and was a bit afraid on investing so much time into it.

I am now a happy use of Zotero, it is in some aspects not as nice as Mendeley, but I think it a much ‘safer’ system. Backups can be done fast and without problems, and reinstalling it just takes few minutes. The thing I most liked about Mendeley was that I could edit/read my pdfs there. I use the Foxit reader for it. When I click on a paper in Zotero it opens with Foxit which has many commenting and editing functions.

J

I've used Zotero throughout my studies (and still do). I have even introduced it to be used in my current job. The ease of use, quick backups, speed and automated importing (just a button press in the browser) all combine to make it exactly what I need. For my purposes in my job, it allows libraries to be easily shared which is ideal. It also imports more than just papers, with websites/patents etc all being imported just as easily. The word plugin works very well although the actual buttons do not look pretty.

The look of Zotero is the only problem for me, as it is not as sleek as Mendely or Endnote. For actually saving pdf versions of papers I use dropox and edit them with a dedicated programme. This makes Zotero a little less of an all-in-one system but I still think it is great.

I always recommend Zotero to others and will continue to use it until I find something better.

The following could be worth reading:
http://www.literaturereviewhq.com/6-tips-on-how-to-choose-reference-management-software/

T

Mendeley, but yes sometimes there are issues with papers disappearing or citations resetting themselves in the documents.

F

Again, I find myself insurmountably in debt to this community.

Many thanks....as usual.

J

Mendeley now but at uni doing my MSc I used Refworks