referencing

J

I have been reading a book (yes, honestly) and it has, in a box, some points that I would like to use as headings for a discussion in my methods section. I don't want to use the whole thing as not all the questions are relevant, but how do I reference this? It is their words I want to use, but not the whole box contents. For example they have a heading about validity of answers in e-mailed questionnaires, which I want to write about in the context of my research, but I don't want to put in the rest of their thoughts on the subject. do I just put something like 'some of the headings from Jones (2006) box6.1 p.346 were used to inform this section'?

H

I've got something similar in my methods chapter. I've put "Altheide and Johnson (2006) suggest the following criteria, which I have used to inform the discussion in this chapter: x, y, z..." (if that makes sense!) - but it was basically that I used some of their headings to structure my chapter. I did actually wonder if it was necessary as they are pretty generic things (access, researcher role, rapport etc) that you find in any methods textbook but I thought it better to reference than not.

J

thanks, that is what I thought, but it is one of those odd things - you don't want to get accused of using someone else's ideas do you! - but on the other hand, they are pretty general headings, better to be safe though.

P

I have a fancy way of dealing with this...

"And so, inspired by X and Y's typology of... "

or

"This below gets abc concepts together. In doing this, I'm inpired by Smith's ...."

BUT, I should add a caveat: my academic writing style is very simple/much like spoken words, and hence it might not go with other styles...

A

could you say something like "the framework for this discussin was adapted from Jones (2006)"...