research in development of an area with tourism prospect, TRANSFER REPORT

S

Hi I need help in writing my transfer report. could you help me as which area, topic to be viewed? what and how to start with?Please help

W

I'm not being funny or anything but...Sali, shouldn't you know more about this than anyone else? As it is your research project, in fact, shouldn't you know which area of research you want to research? How 'the topic is to be viewed'? This is your transfer report, which means, presumably, that you are moving from MSc to Mphil, or something like that. So you must already have a body of work that you can use and where you hope to take it.
You should check your university guidelines, as they usually provide a format of how to produce the transfer report. Generally, with the transfer report you:

1) Introduce your topic

2) Provide some of your lit review

3) Introduce your research question(s)

4) How you plan to tackle your research question(s) - so discuss the theory behind your approach

5) Provide a plan of action for your intended research

6) Provide an account of what you have achieved so for.

7) Document the training you have undertaken.

8) Document the training you need and plan to undertake.

And that's about what I did. It could be different for you though - and other people may have different ideas. I think that it is reasonable for you to ask for advice on how to produce your transfer report. But I think you're being very unreasonable if you think that people should have the time, inclination and expertise to actually suggest your research area for you. It's, after all, your PhD. Good luck,

P

======= Date Modified 07 Mar 2010 03:14:58 =======
Hi Sali,

I just typed a reply but I must have pressed 'cancel' rather than 'post' ....
I recently did my transfer report, and I was given a form from the ESRC telling me what they expected me to write. I'll paste it below:

**************************************************************************************
PLANNED PROGRAMME OF PhD STUDY (to be completed by the student).
a) Title of Research topic (not more than 80 characters, including punctuation and spaces)

b) Please provide a statement of the aims and objectives of the PhD. Your response should not exceed two pages and should include:
i) Why the research is appropriate.
ii) The hypothesis or questions to be addressed.
iii) The research methods to be employed and sources to be consulted and why these are
appropriate
iv) A timetable for the research.

c) If your planned programme of work differs to that proposed in your original application please provide full details to explain how the programme has changed and why. It is important that you answer this fully as the ESRC will, in cases where there have been significant changes which are not explained to our satisfaction consider withdrawing the studentship award. Please use up to one page for your response.

d) If you intend to undertake any period of fieldwork overseas please detail what this
will entail, how it will contribute to your programme of work and where it will fit into
the timetable. Please detail which countries you intend to visit and the duration of the
visit(s). Your response to this question must not exceed half a page.

e) Are there any particular ethical considerations that arise out of the design and/or
conduct to the proposed programme of work? If so please explain these issues and
how you intend to ensure your work will comply with the highest ethical standards.
Your response to this question must not exceed half a page.

***********************************************************************************

Some of this probably won't apply to you. My supervisor was also keen for me to include a tentative chapter structure, and Walminski's suggestion to include the training you have undertaken/still need to undertake is good too :)

S

thanks and bless you