Research is not for me......

L

Hi, i started my PhD 8 months ago and in that time i have achieved very little. i am constantly stressed and feel like i'm struggling. The thought of going through this for the next three years when it only gets tougher is awful. i think i am just not cut out to be in research. At the moment i am considering submitting what little data i have as an MPhil and leaving to do something else. This is a really hard decision for me to make especially as i am funded by research charity grant and i am not sure whether you can even leave if you have a grant that is specifically designated for a PhD studentship...does anyone have any experience of this? I have not talked to my supervisor or anyone in the lab about this because i'm pretty sure they will say i am doing fine, but i honestly just dont think research is for me. If someone could give me some advice on what to do next then that would be really appreciated, Thanks!

C

I would talk to people. Is there someone else for postgrads to talk to not in your department?
I felt like this early on, but decided to stick out the PhD anyway, and I'm now writing up. I can see the negatives, but make sure it is what you want, a lot of projects can go wrong the first year or so anyway so not neccessarily to do with you, it's the nature of research.
If you're going to drop out it is better at the first year stage. Most PhDs automatically go in as Mphil and upgrade to PhD at the end of year 1 anyway. If you drop out later on it is (if I'm right) seen as not finishing and can be seen as negative that a department/lab has had someone not finish.

Y

I think this sentance is right:"Follow your heart." If you are quite sure that research life is not siutable for you quit as fast as you can. Well, I think it is difficult to make sure whether research life is fit for you. You should think it over.

R

If you find something better, go for it. If not, stick with what you've got now until you do.

I've known a number of PhD graduates who went through hell during their PhD student years but have been much happier in their post-PhD years. On the other hand, I've also known people who completed their PhD and then went straight down a different path and are happy as well. I can't say I've personally known people who have quit their PhDs mid-way. The closest are the ones who decided to take a break from their PhDs for a breather, and then come back to it with renewed energy.

Maybe a break is what you need?

A

Hi Lexy245,

So sorry to hear about your dilemma. I've been through (and am still going through) exactly the same thing, except I'm supposed to be in my 3rd year (I wanted to quit at the end of 2nd year, things were that bad, but have been told to take time out to think things over). The main reason why I let things get out of control was because I did not to tell anyone about my doubts and research struggles- not my supervisor, not my family or my university.

R

Why didn't you tell anyone, angie?

A

I urge you not to make the same mistake. Sort out everything now. You may think you're supervisor will just tell you that you are doing fine, but he will be able to help and assist you in any way he can. If you don't want to speak to him/her, then speak to an academic advisor or counsellor at your university- these people are there to help you, by talking to them you will figure out if research is for you or not. At the moment, it seems that you are making decisions on your own, which can be quite tricky when you are feeling down and convinced you have not done any worthwhile research.

A

Maybe you think research is not for you simply because you are struggling at the moment. But if you speak to your supervisor or your uni you may find that things are not that bad, and if they are, then you know how to fix them. And if you come to the conclusion that research is not for you, then at least you have the peace of mind knowing that you made a conscious decision to leave because it's what you want, rather than leaving because things are not going well.

A

Sorry if I am going on a bit but I know (as do the users of this forum) what you are going through and how horrible it can be to have no worthwhile findings. I have only just begun to speak to my supervisor (whom i previously feared) and use the uni services- and I wish I had done all this at the beginning. My interest in research has waned significantly since i started in 2004 but had I just sorted it out earlier then i know that i would still be passionate about my phd.

Whatever you decide, talk to someone first.

L

Thanks for your advice everyone. I will go and talk to someone, tho i would prefer it to be someone impartial and not directly involved in my research. I dont want to be in the same situation as angie81 and regretting not making that hard decision sooner. Have things improved the longer you stuck with it, Angie?

A

Hey RogueAcademic,

Don't laugh but I was convinced at PhD level you must 'know it all'. Everywhere I looked, I got the impression that other students knew exactly what they were doing and I felt like a 'fraud'. So I desperately tried to hide my concerns by not saying anything. I'm a really shy person so I didn't speak to other students/lecturers- i guess this proved to be my downfall.

It is only now, after having discovered this forum 2 or 3 months ago, that I have discovered that all students are in the same boat. If only I had found a site like this 3 years earlier....

M

Don't laugh but I was convinced at PhD level you must 'know it all'. Everywhere I looked, I got the impression that other students knew exactly what they were doing and I felt like a 'fraud'.

I have the same impression...the worst is having my supervisor comparing me with others and saying how weak i am....but i know i try hard and at least i would expect some appreciation for my efforts but...NO!