Research Topic Proposal - Help needed

K

Dear friends,

I would like to submit research proposal (for PhD) to the professor. First, I am not sure whether to discuss about the project in generalized format or do I need to write in depth of the whole project ?
Secondly, do I need to include references as we write in manuscripts ? Any more suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance...

depends on the area. For me in social sciences. I would have done a 'statement of the problem' with a general overview of the area, where the gap in the research lies and back it up with statistics etc (I am looking at a problem a certain demographic has). And I would then outline the studies I wanted to do - about a paragraph each, considering methodology etc.

E

I am also in the process of writing a proposal... have you checked what is expected of the department you are applying to? I think requirements really depend on the Uni/department and what area/subject you are looking into.
From my experience, I have had to write a brief summary of the area/research topic, research questions, relevant literature already looked at (properly referenced), methodology and any previous experience had with the subject or area of research. This was what i have picked up from the specific institution details though, so it's worth checking with yours ;)