Revise + Resubmit - it's all a bit weird...

M

So I got an R+R verdict in November, and have the usual 12 months to do it, but I'm cracking on at pace now.

Got a nice compact examiners report, which is, in essence, a complex ticklist of things I need to do to satisfy them, and therefore get a PhD.

However, has anyone else felt that by doing their amendments, they're altering the very nature of what was already there? It's so weird, because as I understand it, the existing material is "locked in", and the examiners can ONLY reassess on the amendments requested. Therefore, if I end up deleting something that they might have liked first time round, there's not a lot they can do? Am I right? Feels a little odd how I'm making MASSIVE changes to the lit. review etc, but I guess it's all for the better.

Just grateful I don't have to do another viva! I performed well in that, so it's a read-through reassessment only :)

M

Yup... ditto. I got my R + R a couple of weeks ago. Uni are charging me 1600 quid for the privilege, so I'm trying to finish in a few months so that I can have at least some of that refunded. My examiners report just came through and its all a little woolly. I almost feel like I'm handing them over my research, like its not mine anymore. From what my supervisor said they can only assess what is on the report. They can't add anything more after that. My examiners are however requesting samples of the rewrite to check i am on the right lines this time.

M

Mine are requesting a full re-read of the thesis with amendments made, and they will tick off the requirements as they see I've done them (or not). Seems a sensible option.

Just worried that in making the amendments, I'm changing the stuff that they already thought was good, but so be it if they get what they want.