Same research questions but different sector and country. Is that acceptable?

J

Hello,

I recently commenced my PhD and I have found a PhD thesis which had similar research objectives. In fact, after going through this thesis, I realised that I have overcomplicated my research for no apparent reason. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I wish to use the exact same questions of this thesis in my research and try to answer these three questions in a whole different country and sector.

What I need to know is if that is acceptable or am I taking a risk when it comes to plagiarism or originality of any sort?

If the answer of the above question is yes then is it safe for me to use the same methodology which is used in this thesis to find the answers of these questions?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers

R

Interesting question - can anyone advise?

I would be really wary of this. For starters, are you sure you want to ask exactly the same questions? And if you do, would you really want to use the same methodology? Possibly you might get away with this on a technicality-although I am not sure about this myself.

Just imagine for example, it was your research thesis that someone used in similar way-you had hashed out the questions, read all about what sorts of methodologies might be applicable in this case and spent a fair bit of time mapping out your journey. You finish your thesis and someone else comes along (even though they claim to have read a bit about it) and basically takes your map (representing your research journey) and uses it to get to a very similar place and result (a thesis). Be honest, you'd probably be a bit miffed, surely?

The other thing that comes to mind is-if you are using these questions in a different sector (with a different group who have different characteristics) and in a different region (where different factors come into play), wouldn't the questions be shaped or adapted to fit the different characteristics and region by the different factors and characteristics themselves?. And not just shaped with 'words', but in the meaning and implication of the subject matter.

I've tried to give an example or model below-but it is probably a bit flawed because it is hard just invent something but hopefully you get the gist.

Eg: (Their question)

What post operative 'caring techniques' do nurses employed in Jimbily Jumbily Region, use to improve the recovery of heart surgery patients? (empirical case study).

Which do they find most effective?

(Your question)

What post operative 'caring techniques' do nurses employed in Fanny Brown County, use to improve the recovery of hip replacement patients? (empirical case study).

Which do they find most effective?

Compared to your (found a new teeny tiny gap but it is really different all the same) question.

What do nurses in Fanny Brown County, believe about the use of 'personal caring techniques' to improve the welfare of elderly patients recovering from elective surgery? (grounded theory).

When do they use these?

The second Fanny Brown question will take you on a different journey even if it is through similar territory, but perhaps you should ask your supervisor and see what they think.

J

Hey thanks for your reply.

With the passage of time, I believe the questions may change slightly or to a great extent. However, don't you think if the sample size is a major issue and the researcher probably has 10 to 12 relevant people to interview then the case study approach will be the only viable option?

Based on my current knowledge, such a small sample can only be considered sufficient if a case study approach is used,

Your comments on this please,

Cheers.

Hi Jughead,

the other four major qualitative methodology types to check out are narrative inquiry, phenomenology, grounded theory (constructivist or other types) and ethnography. I know that you can have a similar sample size in phenomenology, and would imagine narrative inquiry would be the same.

Even if you prefer case study (bit more straightforward and seemingly empirical) after conducting a bit of investigatory research, you might find that you want to adapt or change questions and even the precise method of methodology.

For example, after conducting my first interview, I have worked out that I will want to have a formal follow up interview-

originally planned -quick survey, 1 semi structured, 1 observation (plus follow up debrief), validation of transcript and summary and possibly an email reflection to follow for each participant-but now I need another formal interview-as I want to see if preliminary themes remain consistent or are a reflection of one day, one snap shop of time (if this makes sense).

I'm also thinking I am going to adapt my methodology somewhat and use aspects of phenomenology and case study-don't ask me how, I can just see that the data is going to lead me on a journey and somehow, I need to adapt the methodology-maybe I can have a quasi- constructivist phenomenological case study ( :) ).

The point is, if it is early days for you, then things should change...it is unlikely that you will follow the same path and what emerges from the research should lead you on a different journey-but I am still of the opinion (my opinion only-your supervisor's and potential examiners opinions are much more important) that the questions should be a little different.

(Hope there are not too many typos in this-I touch type quite fast and the writing is incredibly small so most of my posts are littered with errors and need editing once the post is up...when the writing is bigger and I can see my mistakes!).