Save or not save...that is the question!

L

Hi guys, i need an advice. I am in London and I am looking for a flat/room to move in. In your opiion, what percentage of your scholarship would you use to rent a flat or a room? Do you think it is better to live in a cool place and to arrive at the end of the month saving just few money (say 100£) or to save more and to live in a more modest place, sharing it with other people etc. etc.? thanks

S

I can't imagine having a scholarship that would cover the rent of a flat in London. I lived in London for 7 years (undergrad and working) and always shared a house with other people.

G

I think Luigi (to be blunt) you don't really have a grasp of the economics of the London property rental market (or you have a gargantuan studentship).

O

This does raise an interesting related question--and that is what the cost of living is for a student--and what living amounts various studentships, loans, etc. allow. Probably the largest cost is housing, and that is probably the most variable cost. Housing aside, what amounts are usually allocated for other expenses in a student type of life style? I have seen ranges from £1,000 per month ( that includes housing) to £650 per month ( which also includes housing) as general guides for expense.

I have seen figures of £110 to £135 per month for food...which is about £25 per week to £32 per week, roughly. Just curious what experiences with this might be?

L

hey guys, obviously when I talk about London I take in account the Greater London. If you are a Ph.D. student, if your scholarship is good and could afford to live alone, at most you can let a studio flat in zone 4,5 or 6. My University is not in Central London, so I don't need a flat there. In zone 6, west london, with 500£ you can find really luxury place to share with 1 or 2 flatmates.
The point is: rent a studio and save 50£ or share a flat and save much more.
About food, by my own experience I need around 40£ per week + 10-12£ per week when you have lunch at the Uni. Going out..about 30£ per week. In zone 5-6 you can live quite well spending about 800£ per month (housing inclusive).

S

By 'studio' do you mean 'bedsit'?

L

studio flat or studio apartment - an apartment with a living space and a bathroom and a small kitchen. Basically a bedroom, plus bathroom and cooking facilities.

S

I am really astonished that you can get a studio flat for 550/month in greater London - you certainly couldn't here. If that's the case - the why not?

I enjoyed sharing houses - I don't particularly like living on my own.