scholarships and advisors

V

Hello Everybody,
sorry, the question might sound silly to you... can anybody explain to me the difference betweenthe terms scholarship, studentship and fellowship? Also between the terms Advisor and Supervisor? I'm kinda confused...
Thanks a lot!

T

A fellowship is often used to describe teaching or post-doctoral funding.

A studentship in my mind describes a full-funded postgraduate position (especially research council-funded)

A scholarship to me describes undergraduate funding, or postgrasduate funding from other sources (e.g. a charitable trust). Sometimes a scholarship is for a particular activity, e.g. a sport? This may or may not cover all your funding needs? The boundary between a scholarship and studentship might be a little blurred...

A supervisor is the 'main (wo)man' when it comes to closely (if you're lucky!) advising the direction of your work. An advisor is someone a bit more distant that you can turn to if things go wrong with the supervisor relationship, or you might only see them in a professional context at your upgrade viva etc.

Hope that helps?

S

as far as supervisors/advisors go, your supervisor is the person who literally supervises your work, i.e. you are 'their' student. the work you do will be directly related to their field of research and area of expertise, and you should go to them for any academic help. they will supervise your research by holding regular meetings with you where you can discuss your work together. they may have come up with the research project, or you may have come up with it yourself and requested to work specifically with them. they are there to guide you through your entire phd, start to finish.

an advisor on the other hand is someone who you can go to for other issues not necessarily regarding your work, eg. other university issues etc. they can be there to mediate if there are problems between you and your supervisor, and should be present at any meetings you have with your supervisor (this is compulsory at my uni but may not apply everywhere). they are basically there as backup if need help with non-academic issues.

T

In addition to this.. I think in the US the supervisor is called the advisor? I could be wrong

V

Thanks a lot to you All. I think Thecoastman is right, and that my confusion arises from the fact that in the US they have different roles...a friend of mine (US) in her CV defined the Professor she worked with during her PhD, her Advisor, and she used the same term for the guy she worked with on Master thesis....I think I am going to do the same! :o) Thanks again!