second PhD

L

Hi everyone,
I am currently a PhD in Comp Lit in Italy, Università di Pisa. I am going to discuss my dissertation very soon and in one year I'll be a postgrad.
My question is: could I apply for a second PhD in US? Are usually US universities interested in taking a student having already a PhD in foreign university? Or maybe I may have more possibilities applying for a postdoc?

Thanks everyone who can help me. And sorry for my english, I'm workin' on it!

T

You're better off looking for a postdoc - most places won't want you do to a second PhD and there's limited benefit for you as well. Plus, how would you fund it? You're unlikely to get US funding as an international student.

L

Thanks TreeofLife. I am not sure to get your point about funding. Would I not be a normal PhD student like others? I know a friend of mine, already graduated in Italy, who had a second PhD at CUNY with all normal coverage: fees, funding etc. Is there in US a special PhD status besides the "normal" one?

T

Quite often there are restrictions on who can get the funding. If something is funded by a US agency, sometimes the funding can only be used for US citizens/permanent residents. This is similar to Europe, where funding is often only available for EU citizens.

Obviously it can happen in some cases, and maybe it's more common in some disciplines than in others.

Funding eligibility would probably be mentioned in the advertisement for the position.

Why do you want to do a second PhD? You would have to be able to justify this to the PI you are applying to.

L

Cool, I get your point. Since my discipline is Literature, all coverage is often from university.
I am interestering in a Second PhD cause I am not sure to be taken for a Post-Doc position since my PhD is from a foreign university. Is it right or it's just a wrong idea? For this I am asking for your advice, since I don't know US universities, besides three months visiting CUNY during my PhD.
Thanks for your answer!

K

Postdocs are universal if you have the right background you'll be hired. Funding issues might restrict some positions but not just because your phd wasn't obtained in the country offering the postdoc.

T

Ok I see. I spent a year in the US as a PhD student so that's where my info is from.

I think your PhD is fine to qualify for a postdoc position. I have met quite a few non-US nationals doing postdocs in the US. The were from various countries such as India, China and Portugal. The Portuguese student told me she just took a chance and applied, but didn't think she would get it and she did, so you should definitely give it a go.

Make sure you research how to make a good application though (try to find examples of applications online), because US postdoc candidates have a lot of experience in teaching/conferences/publications etc so you need to be able to compete with them.