Second Time Phders. How are you getting on?

R

======= Date Modified 12 50 2008 15:50:50 =======
======= Date Modified 12 50 2008 15:50:20 =======
Hey there,

I'm just really interested to know how our second time PhDers are getting on as I know there are a few on this site.

After dropping out of my PhD last December, I took the year out and I am just about to start an MSc course ( Ive jumped from one Oxbridge uni to the other, so I have been very fortunate !! )

I am mulling over doing a PhD again ( provide all goes well with my Msc course and that I get a really good grade for my dissertation ) ) and I am sure there are people on this site considering doing the same thing. So its nice to hear from people who decided to go once more into the breach and are having a second crack at a PhD.

What has been the big change this time around: Topic? Supervisor? General working environment? Have things improved? Do you enjoy it more?

please dont be shy

:-)

B

======= Date Modified 12 Oct 2008 16:16:35 =======
Two big changes for me: being able to study part-time this time, and switching from science (computer science) to humanities. Note I didn't aim to start a second PhD for a very long time. One part-time OU course led to another and I soon had a BA and then a part-time Masters. And then I thought why not? Started it, and won funding a year later.

As for the second-time PhD it's going well I think, though I was in the mid-PhD doldrums for much of the last year (equivalent of 2nd year full-time), and am just getting out of that. On the downside I'm still long-term progressively ill (why I had to drop out of a full-time computing PhD over a decade ago) and I do worry about whether I'll be fit enough to complete. But I have mostly written the thesis now, and have very supportive supervisors. So overall I'm optimistic.

However it is a radically different experience this time around for me, due to the change of subject area and working patterns. Much better. Really enjoying it. Just wish I was healthier so I could give it more of a fair crack. I'm conscious that my research has been more restricted than I'd like it to be. But my supervisors are confident about my work.

S

Well it's certainly different this time around - better in some ways but worse in others.

The better points are: I'm much more interested in my topic this time around and i 'own' it this time; I'm older, with more general work experience; I'm married and I think being in a settled relationship is helpful (broke up with bf first time around). I think are the things that what will get me through.

Ironically, several things are worse: I barely get any supervision (my supervisors were pretty good last time); it's not as easy to fit in socially as I'm older, married, and worst of all - have a preschooler; did I mention I had a baby during my PhD - probably not my finest peice of life-management but hey ho; a bizarre number of things have gone wrong, both personally and work-wise, compared to the first time which was potentially pretty straightforward.

So it's been the best of times and the worst of times. I don't regret it (apart from just occaisionally....). I do find it pretty stressful sometimes mainly due to time management issues and lack of supervision (you have to be very confident not to get anxious when you get very little feedback) but I can't think of anything else I'd rather do that I could do, given my circumstances.

Have you made a big change in subject area? How does your new dept compare to your old one? Have you identified a potential supervisor?

R

Hi Smilodon,

The area of my MSc course is quite different than the PhD topic is worked on. I won't start any project work till after xmas so I have no idea who my supervisor will be. Needless to say that even though it is only a masters project I'm still going to be very cautious about choosing my supervisor as I have already found out the hard way just how important a role a supervisor can play in determining the success or failure of a student project.

I do have a pretty good idea as to what area I want to work in so ill just have to wait and see who offers a project in that area

Overall, I think the course I am doing is a good step to take. I was told a lot of people who did the course stayed on for doctorates after they finished the course, so there seems to be good opportunities for students to undertake PhDs after they finish. I am just really playing it by year. Id very happy accept an offer of a PhD studentship ( should I get such an offer ) provided I have satisfied myself that I enjoy the topic enough and have to aptitude to see it through.