Second year assessment?

V

Hi everyone- I'm a bit unsure how the second year of the PhD is assessed- is it like the transfer/upgrade process or is it different to that? I can't seem to find my student handbook which would help!

V

Ok, have just found the handbook- but am still none the wiser.

P

Depends on the Uni...

In my 2nd - 3rd year I don't think I did anything .. there was a very weak 'process' set.. I think you were supposed to submit a report detailing your progess but I'm pretty sure I emailed back 'Too busy.. not now.. bye' or something like that..

Can you ask your supervisor?

B

Hi

I'm in my second year, heading for the third and I'm not being asked to do anything official anything either. From what I gather, as long as I'm submitting work regularly and my supervisor is happy with my progress, I just carry on into the third year.

I'm sure this does vary from uni to uni, so your best bet is probably to email your department or supervisor and ask them what their standard procedure is.

A

Hi Vince,

At my uni we have to write a 2nd year progress report so supervisors and Director of PG Studies can check that we're on the right track etc. It's basically a continuation of the 1st year reports we had to write for our upgrades. I don't know what other unis do, but although it's stressful writing a 20 page report, we're all finding it a useful review of what we have or haven't achieved this year- turns out it's quite good at motivating those of us who haven't managed to get many meaningful results this year!

V

Have been away so haven't had chance to say thanks for the comments on this- best to ask supervisor I think. So thanks everyone..