Secondary supervisor withdrawing from supervisory team

R

Just started my PhD and my second supervisor seemed uncomfortable in my presence having had past issues decided to seek outside advise and he was contacted sensitively by an experienced advisor. Initially, he responded he was happy to supervise me, the very next day he had withdrawn himself from my supervisory team, I had no explanation given to me, am I entitled to one, I been told I could be black listed if this person has pulled out and won't be able to replace this person very easily.

Is this normal at the start of the PhD for the supervisor to pull out, can I continue with my PhD with just the principal one and if so how long? I am worried I might lose my PhD place after 3 weeks, whose responsibility is it to find me a second one?

Is this unprecedented and could I be now at fault. Need some advice.

N

Hi Romas, it is normal to feel unsecure at the beginning of your PhD. The fact your second supervisor has decided to withdraw from the supervisory team may have nothing to do with you. Perhaps they had too many students, have encountered personal issues or have been offered a post somewhere else (the following article gives a few examples of tricky situation during a PhD: http://www.findaphd.com/student/study/study-51.asp). Just to give you may own experience: One of my supervisors left for another non-academic job when I was in my first year which resulted in me having one main supervisor and then two part-time post-docs as my second supervisor (I then got another two supervisor in year 2 because of a period of research abroad so it is never simple!) so it does happen. Many universities do not have a compulsory second supervisor regulations and, especially at the beginning of your PhD, it probably is OK to only have one person guiding you.
Communication is always the best thing if you think you need answers:
1) Why not discuss it with your main supervisor and/or your PhD office (or equivalent). it may be that at this stage, one supervisor is enough and you may want to wait and see where your research is taking you.
2) If you feel you can't do with a second supervisor (especially if you sought your second supervisor yourself), then look for expertise in your field
3) Email the person who was supposed to be your supervisor and ask to meet with them.

You are not going to lose your place after 3 weeks unless you do something illegal, unethical or dangerous. It doesn't sound like it is the case so just continue as you would have and enjoy the start of this amazing journey.

R

Thanks, Nathaliephd, the article is helpful and so are your comments. I think that my principal supervisor has a 70:30 ratio of overall supervision workload and his expertise is the main focus in the early stages of the PhD. In my university regulations it says it is 'normal to have two supervisors' it doesn't say compulsory. So I will try and carry on and hope the situation remedies itself. Starting out on a PHd is bewildering anyway (so many unknowns) without extra hurdles to contend with so soon. Romas

I

Hi

I started my PhD with three supervisors. In my first year one of them left for another job. One of the others I now haven't spoken to for over a year. He said to contact him if I need him but I never have. I've gotten along fine with just one. In fact, in some ways it's easier. In my first year I struggled to keep up with the demands of three of them. It felt like they all wanted me to go down different routes. Now, with just one, i find things a lot easier.

As long as your subject area isn't spread too much over a number of disciplines (and if your University doesn't forbid it) you should be fine with just one supervisor.

As for being black listed, I've never heard of such a thing happening. Where did you hear this?

I'd just like to add that I know how daunting the start of a PhD can be. I'm still feel overwhelmed sometimes and I'm almost finished. Don't be afraid to ask anything on here. If I'd found this forum at the start of my PhD I probably would have managed it all a lot better. There are so many helpful people here.

Good luck

R

Hi Image Analyst,

My principal supervisor in the process of finding a replacement, even though my internal grades from a previous course are the highest they had for a while, no-one seems to clambering to come forward. The few he has approached who have the necessary expertise (though not as high as the principal) or research area interest have declined which is giving the impression of being blacklisted.

He is wondering whether it is fair to put me through 6 months of work if the first RD1 form stage - there needs to be two supervisors, he is waiting for clarification whether this is correct or not. On the air of caution, we had our first PhD meeting and documented it in a log book and will try to proceed just with one.

I even decorated my desk just to feel more at home in the research lab whilst all this uncertainty takes place.

Thanks

N

It sounds like you have a very involved, switched and nice principal supervisor. This is the most important. Second supervisors are sometimes just there in case there is a problem or to tick the regulations requirement box. Don't worry at this stage. This is procedural and if your first supervisor has the right expertise and offers you the support you need, then you ar eon the right track. Good luck!

R

Hi Nathaliephd,

I think you are right, already having some interest today, so there maybe a second supervisor after all, but the main focus is on the project in the meantime, hopefully everything else will slot into place.

At least I have one excellent supervisor in place.

Thanks Romas

M

Actually, too many cooks spoil the broth.

For example, first supervisor prefers traditional approach, and second supervisor insists modern approach.
Assuming the final decision is to adopt modern approach, but the examiner may prefer traditional approach...

However, second supervisor could be useful as a proofreader at a later stage... :)