Secured funding for PhD

M

Hi guys. I am off for an informal chat in about two week's time to discuss my PhD. I am basically an overseas student and have 2i in my undergraduate degree from a UK university and currently doing my MSc here in the UK.
I have secured funding from my employer, which includes fee and maintenance for three years. In addition, my other employer is willing to sponsor me for 6 years but their requirement is me having a PhD and the educational fund organisation in my country have also agreed to fund me and their requirement is me accepted by a higher educational institute.
I am very interested in subject delivered by the institution and what do you guys think my chances are and under what circumstances can supervisors reject me? And should I tell them that I have funding for other projects after I finish my PhD?

Thanks

S

I'm sure most places will take you if you have all the cash to give them - I would just be careful to make sure the supervisor is interested in the work you want to do - and not just your cash

Finding a good interested supervisor will vastly affect your ability to produce a quality PhD.

I'm not clear on if you have already got a research proposal but would suggest you make sure you get a realistic research proposal outline with acheivable goals agreed between you and any potential supervisors before agreeing to start with them - without this it could end up very misdirected.

There are unfortunately supervisors out there (not just in the UK) who will gladly take your money in exchange for you using their workspace but then not contribute to your success.

Good luck

s

N

I had the choice of funded place at not my first choice uni doing not my chosen field or place unfunded at THE best uni in the country doing my own choice which is my interest and hobby!! No choice really - will figure the cash bit out later but every piece of advice I read says dont just chase the cash.....a PhD is hard enough as it is without doing something you have little interest in.

M

I am actually very interested in my area but my lecturer have told me not to submit a proposal, be breif and not talk too much. Now Im struggling with this bit.

S

Funded students certainly are very attractive to supervisors so you can afford to be picky.

Not everyone is in a position to 'figure out the cash later' - most of us need money to put food on the table and pay our fees and could not self-fund.