self funding part time

W

I realise that this may differ between universities & departments but as a general rule is the following the process for self funding (part-time):

Contact Uni, offer up a thesis proposal and perhaps propose a potential supervisor, uni then reviews your proposal and evaluates you for suitability; assuming all ok; they then sign you up?

As this is one of the less common ways of starting a PhD, info seems patchy on many university websites.

Many thanks, WYSIWYG

J

Hi WYSIWYG,

I'm in the middle of applying for a self-funded part-time PhD and that's just about the process I've gone through so far. I identified and contacted a potential supervisor first, and he's been helping me with my application. Once that's gone in to the research office it will be looked at and offered around the department to find a second supervisor (assuming the first still wants to take it on!), then I'll probably have to have an interview and if that's ok then I'm in!

Ju

S

i am self-funding, though so far still full time (living of savings). at my uni, if you will be self-funding, you simply go through the online application process (which involves a fee) and then get accepted or not.

a supervisor is assigned to you, usually in the offer letter, and then you decide if you want to take up the offer or not.

to accept the offer you will have to fill a financial undertaking form, demonstrating how you intend to pay for your course.

L

I've just got an offer from the university I want to complete my Ph.D at, but because I'm presently on another part time post grad course ( which finishes next june) the whole issue has to go before a post grad committee which will consider and, I quote " the unique factors surrounding your case" To do this I've had to submit a study timetable, a timeline, details of the present postgrad course and recommendations from my proposed supervisor AND the course admissions tutor. I mean REALLY -is it ALWAYS going to be THIs bureaucratic!?!?
BTW I'm self funding too - you think they'd want us to throw what litte money we have at them, wouldn't you??

S

You apply as normal, but it is worth contacting a supervisor prior to making an application to make sure there is someone who can supervise you (it is also worth having their imput at the proposal stage)