Self-funding

U

======= Date Modified 16 May 2011 23:17:39 =======
Hello,

I've just been accepted onto a PhD program, however, I'm not too sure about the funding situation. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone has juggled a full-time job along with doing a part-time self funded PhD and, if so, how did you/are you getting on with it? Furthermore, how much time are you devoting to your PhD each week? I'm thinking that, if I get a 9 to 5 job and, if I manage to do 8 hours research on a Saturday, I'll be able to put in about 10 to 15 hours a week. Would this be enough?

Also, I was contemplating getting a job doing something not very stressful and easy on the brain so as I wouldn't be too mentally or physically burnt out after a days work and be able to put in some work on my PhD, which would possibly allow for me to get in about 20 hours a week.

Cheers.

D

Hi Username,

I am doing a PT self funded program. I am 18 months in and loving it.

My work is fairly full on for 4.5 days per week (46hrs) I am doing 15 hrs good work on the PhD. I think I am about where I am expected to be at the moment.

The biggest problem early on was sorting out my priorities / responsibilities between work, family ( with kids) and study. None must be allowed to take over although each tends to rise to prominence through circumstances. At the moment this balance is good so I feelmpositive.