Self-funding?

R

It was always my dream/intention to do a PhD and take my subject (History) as far as I could go with it. In the end as I finished my Masters in 2010 I didn't even contemplate continuing due to various health, stress and money issues. Since then I've worked full time in various jobs but have never stopped thinking about the idea of doing a PhD, I've even discussed my ideas with potential supervisors who were seemingly happy with the concept.

I was no outstanding student, I got a good 2:1 and then my MA without a distinction or anything like that so I guess my funding chances are zero. Having saved up I should be able to cover the fees, and with the support of my family it could be doable. One issue is I'd want to do it full time, not just because of how long a part-time PhD would take but because I feel I'd miss out on experience and networking that would be vital for me to have any hope of getting a job remotely related to the PhD, ideally of course academia. As a result my earnings would be severely limited and combined with the fees would make for a very expensive 3-4 years.

Basically is this just an utterly crazy idea like I keep telling myself? That I'll just spend years studying, get my PhD (hopefully), and basically end up back where I am now with a lot less money, several years older and no chance of a job from it.

Alternatively I could do a more vocational masters to progress in my present career but that would still cost me around £9k + a year of study and the job market isn't exactly great in my field either.

I guess I'm torn between following my dream and doing the boring 'right thing' for the longer term. Nearly 29 and very much feeling I need to be getting on with things either way. I suppose I just needed to ask.

T

It's a no-brainer for me. Follow your dream. If you want to do a PhD for the sake of doing one then go for it.
That's what I did. I started my PhD when I was 27. Probably wasn't logical but it had to be done otherwise I would have thought about for the rest of my life. I've just applied for a job that has the same salary as the one I left four years ago. I don't care though, it was never about the money or job prospects for me. Having said that, I am striving for a career in academia so I will see how that plays out.

P

Your age isn't a problem, but I worry about whether you can 'really' afford it - you'll need the best part of 30-40k (over 3-4 years) just on fees. Also, don't rule out getting funding, have a look for funded opportunities.

R

In terms of just the fees it would be around £13k, £4k a year plus some costs, its more the loss of earnings whilst doing it that will push up the 'cost' in my mind. As its AHRC and History I am assuming no funding on the basis that I didn't get a first at UG and didn't get a distinction at PG. I guess I would apply but I am just thinking I need to assume I would get no funding at all. I guess if I was paying my own way the university wouldn't really be able to say don't work at the same time, but that assumes I could find some suitable part-time work.

Part-time is something I've considered but I struggle to see how I'll be able to do anything like teaching or similar experiences which would be vital to getting a career after completion. Whilst part of it is a dream and just doing it would be great, I'd want it to actually result in something for me too...rather than just another piece of paper that employers won't really care about.

T

Also, I think a PhD is more enjoyable when you can immerse yourself in academic life, so personally I wouldn't want to do it part-time.

P

Just to say, I'm in social sciences (law), didn't get a first or a distinction and I'm fully funded at RG uni, so it happens. The drop-out rate for part timers is very high, do you have a job to support yourself?

P

Oh, and if you're paying your own way I think the Uni would still be expecting you to get the work done in the normal time frames (3 years full, 5 part), so they may have something to say about you doing outside work?

N

Hi Rogue9,

If you are keen to do a PhD and are looking for funding, you may still be able to get some financial help even if you are finding it difficult to get scholarships.

Charities and trusts are good options and you can find details of these here:

http://www.findaphd.com/funding/guides/phd-without-scholarship.aspx

We also have a FindAPhD scholarship which might be worth applying for, where you could win £5,000 towards your course:

Hope these help and good luck with the future,

Nikki

S

I did what you're thinking of doing, i.e. I self-funded my PhD. I finished last year and am about to begin a postdoc which I'm very happy about.

However I would advise against self-funding. I put myself through a huge amount of unecessary strain and worry because of being broke all the time, and having to find money for fees. I was miserable so much of the time, which is an awful pity because I really enjoyed my research, had a great relationship with my supervisor, and some nice colleagues.

What I should have done was give myself 12-18 months to look for funding and read as much as I could about my topic. I could have gotten alumni membership of my old university library and read and read. I should have spent this time networking as well. I should have attended conferences and public talks given by academics in my area, I should have asked questions and told these people that I wold love to do a PhD in X, could they advise me on where to look for funding.

If I had done this, I think I could have succeeded in getting funding, and know that I would then have enjoyed the whole PhD experience much more.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

F

Like most said, follow your dream and give yourself the best chance at funding by doing some preliminary footwork and exploring options / opportunities. BUT money or being broke should not be a deal breaker. If being broke is part of the deal so be it. If it was easy, everybody would do it, and without struggle there is no growth. Thats applicable to anything worth doing in life my friend. So don't be afraid of a little pain. What's on the other side is what is important.

Also i'll tell you this (very anecdotally)...no disrespect to my funded colleagues, but for most of them its a free ride and 'something to do' for 3 years. Nearly all of them DON'T want to be in academia, the other 1% have no clue what do do with their lives afterwards. Also publishing before submission is a bad word in the PhD room lol. I work the hardest in my department (I know the cleaning staff by name, that's how early I get in) and I have the most unreasonable expectations for myself. I know exactly where I want to be career wise, so I just worked backwards and decided to put all the pieces that would get me from 'here' to 'there'.

Also, don't be fooled, a PhD is also a business decision. Be it for a career in academia or applied in industry. So don't do some self-indulgent PhD that is worth little more than the paper its submitted on. Have some kick ass research you will enjoy but that also has value to others as well. The University will not hesitate to take your money as a self funded candidate, and they will happily let you explore the societal significance of Peppa Pig. I see it every day.

...right...I think I have ranted enough. Carry on.