Self-plagiarism and published articles

T

Hello. I am currently working on an essay that I want to submit as a book chapter in a forthcoming volume. Of course, I have no idea if it will be accepted but I have a question for you. The article is based on data and research from my thesis (which so far only has two chapters) and I really wanted to also include this section (reworked) in my final thesis. Can I do this or is it self-plagiarism do use the same material? I don't want to fall foul of the university rules but am unsure what is allowed? Also if I am writing an article based on a PhD thesis should I "hide" the fact that it is from a thesis - would it look more professional to talk about a "research project" rather than a thesis? Sorry if these are rather obvious questions but I rarely get on to campus and never talk to other postgrads in real life so am unsure what is normal!! Thanks.

E

I have seen PhD theses with chapters that have been published elsewhere. The writer just indicates that a version of this chapter has been published in.......

I don't know about the other question that you ask....but I guess it is not "wrong" to say that it is part of an ongoing PhD research. I don't think that it would look less professional....But this is only my view.........

M

Hi

Regarding the point about 'hiding' the PhD bit, I've been advised that publishers do not like to read that research comes from part of a bigger work, i.e. a thesis, so I've never mentioned it. I just say that so-&-so paper arises from a two-year study into etc....

The self-plagiarism bit is, I admit, daunting! I cheerfully say that I've written 25,000 words of my thesis, but then realise I've effectively 'cut & paste' chunks of that into 1 published article & another awaiting approval, leaving me with some significant re-writes ahead. Oh joy!!

Hi!
I too would be inclined to refer to a research project rather than a thesis.

Most universities specify that research submitted in a doctoral thesis must not have been submitted for any other academic award. I have never seen it stipulated that nothing should have been published, though. Quite a few PhDers seem to publish conference papers and journal articles based on their research well before they completely write up/submit. There should be regulations/guidelines available on your university website or from the Graduate Office so you can check. Go for it, and good luck!

P x

S

I agree with others, not heard of not being able to publish book chapters and thesis. To avoid self-plagiarism, just make sure that you re-work the whole thing and no two sentences are alike
:-)

T

Thank you everyone.

B

======= Date Modified 02 May 2012 09:01:09 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*Removed by PostGrad Forum team - advertising*