Sheffield

A

Hi all!

I'm going to start a PhD in Music Psychology on September at the University of Sheffield. Is there someone who is studying in the same Uni? Is Sheffield a nice city? I've obtained only a tuition fees scholarship... is it hard to get a job there? And what about the accommodation?

Thank you very much
Best
Andre

S

I was at Sheffield for undergrad and masters. Sheffield is a great city, it's just really really pleasant, although you'll have to get used to the hills. Try to get accomodation in Crookes, Crookesmoor or Broomhill - avoid Broomhall, it's a proper shithole. I honestly thoroughly like the city, although I could see someone from a larger city thinking that it was a bit mundane. Also, have a pork sandwich.

A

Thank you for your kind reply!

Can I ask you something more?
Do you think it's better to stay at the University accommodation or in a shared house?

thanks a lot
Best

A

Thank you for your kind reply!

Can I ask you something more?
Do you think it's better to stay at the University accommodation or in a shared house?

thanks a lot
Best

S

I love Sheffield, it's a friendly city, not too big or to small!
There is new student accommodation blocks being built every year, i agree with the location choices stated, there are also some nice flats in the centre of town at 'West One'
theres plenty of 'standard' work bar/restaurant, shop assistant and there are lots of Temp agencies here too.

Uni accommodation is good for meeting new people and is a bit less forced then a shared house straight away, either way you're probably sharing kitchen and bathroom so you're going to meet them. Uni accommodation is cheaper and usually all inclusive of bills etc.

Good luck 
:-):-)

S

Quote From Slizor:

Also, have a pork sandwich.

The greatest end to a piece of advice I've heard. All posts should end like that. Made me giggle like a little girl!

The best pork sandwiches are from Beres Pork Sandwich Shop. Don't forget to have it dipped with everything on.

S

Ha! Lucky for you guys who work at The Science Registry Beres is just up the road. If you wanted to go a little further afield there's Sean's on Eccesall Road (just past the Banner Cross), that's pretty bloody good. You can also get a massive one for like £2 from a bakery on that small packed shop street off of Arundel Gate (I think it's called the Avenue or something.) Is the landlady at the Grindstone still...erm....witchlike?

I can't really say much about Uni accomodation anymore - they've pretty much knocked down everything that existed when I started (which makes me sound older than I am, they've just been building a lot in the past 7 years (if anyone else went, I was there in the last year of Sorby.)) Beyond that, I prefer to get a house with some people, but it is probably a lot less hassle to sort out uni accomodation. Also, it may worth be considering becoming a subwarden/residence mentor to cut costs, although I know that there's been a fair bit of an argument in Sheffield about pay/work.

A

I believe Sheffield has one of the highest (if not the highest) rate for people who stay in the city after their studies so that is a great compliment to the city. I personally love living here and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. It isn't too big but there's lots going off. Sheffield people love Sheffield and are very proud and protective of their city. Come and join us... you'll never leave!!

There has been lots of developement in the city and over the last 5 or so years it has changed a lot (for the better). A lot of the tired old buildings/areas are being redeveloped. There's lots of accommodation around too.

Agree that I would stay clear of Broomhall (not Broomhill - that's nice).

A

Quote From Slizor:

) Is the landlady at the Grindstone still...erm....witchlike?

It's recently had a makeover but not sure about the landlady :)

A

thank you all guys!

I've applied for the Endcliffe Village accommodation.. I really hope to enjoy the next three years in Sheffield, meet some people and make new friends!!

Again, thank you all for your replies!
Andre

A

It's nice around there. Very leafy too!

C

I've just graduated with a PhD in Sheffield. I love the city so much, and am very sad that my studying days there are over - I'd move back any day!