Should I do a PhD?

N

Hi all, I am new to this and was looking for some advice regarding a possible PhD I have been offered.

Last week I went for an interview at a university for a position which would have involved oilfield research (I have an undergraduate degree and a masters degree in science). I thought the interview had gone really badly, however I got a phone call over the weekend from the university asking if I would be interested in taking up a PhD position!!!! I was a bit taken aback and have been thinking about it all weekend.

I currently work within the pharmaceutical industry, where I have been for the last two years since graduating from university. I like my job but no longer find it fulfilling and as an industry there is very limited room for progression (and a pay rise!!!!).

The money I am being offered for the PhD is a lot more than I expected (approx £15,500) and I would be about £700 worse off a year than I am now due to not paying tax etc. There would also be opportunities for me to do contract work for oil companies to bump my pay up a bit.

My initial feeling is that this would be a great opportunity to expand my knowledge and skills and gain experience in the oilfield industry. I would hopefully get quite a few contacts from the oilfield companies with whom the university work with also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I think the biggest worry is whether I could do it and what kind of job I would I get when I finish. Also a bit worried about the workload, do most people find they get some evenings and some weekend to themselves?

D

I have also just been offered a PhD recently. I think it's very important to be passionate about the topic, and happy to spend a significant period of your life working on the same thing.. though, of course, as I 'm just beginning I'm not the best person to advise!

"Also a bit worried about the workload, do most people find they get some evenings and some weekend to themselves?"

This is also a question that I'm wondering. I am currently putting so much into my Master's that I'm not spending as much time with my husband as I would like. Do people find the work load eases up much? I am the very conscientious-type.. so I always tend to work hard, but I would like more free evenings and things than I have now.

R

Sorry only got time for a brief answer. With regards to workload many PhD students treat the PhD as a job and will work conventional 'office' hours i.e. 9-5 and not work evenings or weekends unless there are deadlines looming. I'm in my second year and I don't do 9-5 because I don't like those hours, I know that when I get a job I'll have to do that but for the moment I enjoy being flexible. I would say that I work approx 35-40 hours a week but that will sometimes include weekends because my partner works weekends and then I will have time off during the week. You can still have a social life whilst doing a PhD.

Before I completely disappear:

http://www.wearthesis.talktalk.net

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

M

Hi.
If i were you i will do it and give up my job, why? because i want to do a phd in the field of oil industry, i know this is what i really want to do for rest of my life.

Good luck

Q

======= Date Modified 08 May 2012 14:33:00 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*Removed by PostGrad Forum team - SPAM*

Q

======= Date Modified 08 May 2012 14:32:32 =======

W

======= Date Modified 09 May 2012 08:39:06 =======

D

Hi Nti97sma,

I wondered if you had came to a decision about whether you should go for a PhD? I have found reading articles online about the main reasons people drop out very helpful.(such as this one http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2002/nov/08/highereducation.books from The Guardian).

Best of luck with everything!

N

Thank you everyone for your feedback and advice. I have decided to go for the PhD - I am scared and apprehensive but I think this is a fantastic opportunity which will really improve my skills and knowledge and challenge me. :-)

M

If you have not taken a decision yet, there are a number of things you must consider: 

1) Are you ready to do research alone for 3-4 years ? -  Unlike the Master degree, you are pretty much on your own in an adventure. Your advisor cannot help you much here;
2) What about your family commitment ? - The PhD takes much time and energy way from your family ;
3) What is your real motivation for getting into this ? In industry, a PhD degree does not guarantee a better salary than a Master degree. Prestige may be fine but there are just
    too many PhDs in the world today. If you want to pursue a PhD to gain more knowledge in a particular area yet you expect to continue solely in a industrial career,
  a PhD may not be a wise career decision. The structure of a PhD degree program is centered on preparation of individuals for careers in research, teaching, and other scholarly activities.
4) Are you really sure this is for you ? - Check the Academic Joy Web site to know more.

Think well before you jump in ...