Should I do a PhD?

S

Hi everyone - in your opinion should I do a PhD?

I am currently doing an MA in Media Culture and Communicatation who would love to work independantly on projects that I have a vested interest in. However, post-PhD, I don't want to work in academia - I would prefer to go into industry, being a consultant. What are your thoughts? Would I be wasting my time?

K

Dont waste your time....a PhD wont help you achieve this.

S

Agreed. This is an academic route, not a route to riches.

T

I would have thought that in this particular field that on the job experience would be much more valuble than spending 3-4 years in academia doing a PhD.

S

Thanks for your replies....I certainly don't see it as a 'road to riches' (that was so funny), I would just like to offer academic expertise with confidence along with the experience I have in the industry (I currently work in children's media, as a web editor). My aim is to find out exactly how UK children are using the internet, and sort of devise a best practice guide to producing the most useful content.

I would also do the course part time, but I do understand what a commitment it would be. I certainly need to give it more thought, either way.

C

A PhD is a personal, often self-made, hell. Whatever reason you do it for - make sure that you can justify it to yourself, even on the rought days.

U

Hi I hold an MSc in Marketing from theUniversity of Glamorgan and started to be interested in a PHD as I constantly need new challenges but have not been inspired by any research title. How much more difficult is the phd from the masters.Also I m into banking will a Phd pays... I m also considering academic life.Let me know your thoughts pple

B

Just because you have a PhD it doesn't make you an 'academic expert' ... 'experts' are people who have made a significant contribution to the field they are working within. So, if you think of it that way, when you get your PhD you are only on the bottom rung of the ladder!!!

R

I suppose you might as well be asking how long is a peice of string. the two reasons I can see for doing any PhD is that you enjoy the subject and/or doing a PhD will in some way enhance your career prospects. ask your self these questions honestly and you should get your answer

G

@ sharnajackson. YES.

G

Sorry sharna jackson, I was answering your question 'Would I be wasting my time?'. If you have no intention of an academic career undoubtedly yes, a definite waste of time.

R

Sharna Jackson - I may be wrong but I believe in your chosen field, a masters degree is the standard, not the PhD (unless you're specifically looking for a career in academia or public policy / govt area).