Should I leave my PhD

F

Hi all, I am in my 2nd year of a biology PhD. I love the theory side i.e. the research I am doing but I am struggling with the experiments. So much so that I have spent the last six months coming in at weekends to try+get the experiments to work. My supervisor feels I should leave as he does not think I am suitable for a PhD. I don't want to leave as I have worked in industry before and found it boring (main reason for starting a PhD). Also I feel that given time,the experiments will work out(thou my supervisor just feels I am wasting mine and his time). Although experiments are not working out, I do not think I will fail as I have presented at lots of conferences and have received good feedback.
I am just lost as to what to do. I am afraid that I might fail my PhD if the experiments do not keep working out and that I will have wasted 3-4 years. I am afraid to talk to my supervisor about how I feel as he just keeps saying its best to leave. Has anyone else ever been in this suitaion.Thanks

M

Sounds like your supervisor is almost pushing you out. You should be questioning why he isn't being supportive and more directive with your work. If you experiments aren't working out - surely, it's his responsibility to be pointing you in the right direction?

F

Thank you for your reply. I do agree but when I ask for his help, all I get is "its not working out,is it.....I think it would be best to leave with a masters". I would love to know am I the only one whose experiments are not working out. I cant ask the other people in my lab as they are not the most approachable

U

Check my post on the other similar thread i'm posting. Your not the only one thats getting forced out by supervisors for the SOLE reason that your experiment doesnt work.

The others guys gave really good advice for me, its NOT your responsibility to get experiments to work if you conduct a experiment exactly to what your supervisor requests its not your fault it doesnt work. Your job is to execute experiments and come up with ideas for new/improved ones its up to them to implement them.

B

Hey Fuzz - keep the boat afloat there. In a bit of a pickle myself getting a solid idea down and really feel at times that supervisors doesn't even stop to consider that we might be genuinely stuck and the whole sadist routine ain't helping. I know we are ultimately responsible but for f**ks sake, they are paid enough and get enough work from us otherwise (don't get me started on that side of things!!). Long story short - maybe if you did concede that you are having trouble to the supervisor but state that you are committed to the project which surely is worth something. Sorry for the rambling nature ... its nearly hometime methinks. And one last thing - don't doubt yourself - you can and will succeed in this!

W

As far as I'm aware, a PhD is not about coming up with some great new invention, findings or dazzling methodological approach. It's training, training to become a good researcher who can evaluate and negotiate problems. Don't mean to over-simplify the situation, but so what if it doesn't work? If you've followed the method correctly and done everything you can, it just doesn't work and your supervisor will just have to accept that - or have his facial features re-arranged through being beat about the head with a frying pan in an attempt to get some sense into him. Perhaps you can look at why it hasn't worked (you probably already have, so I apologise). Anyway, as you frequently may have read on here, things don't always work out the way we want them to (cliche alert!) and we have to just work around it by 'slightly' changing methods and aims. Your supervisor of all people should realise it's not all plain sailing. The stupid prat!

S

I'm suprised rjb203 hasn't posted a reply to this one. He/She is usually like a fly to s@$t with posts like this one!

R

sm888,

Sorry to disappoint you, I've been slacking off the past few days. Im sorry, ill pay more attention in future.... Mean while back at the ranch: I'm sure you're thinking up plenty of constructive comments to make on the subject matter

H

Hi.

How has it been going? Are your experiments working out now?