Should I take my holidays between Thesis Submission and Viva

A

Hello all. I am planning to submit my thesis by the end of the year. By university regulations my VIVA is going to be 6 weeks later (end of January). I am wondering if it is a good idea to go home (a far far away land :-) ) For 3-4 weeks between the thesis submission and the VIVA. Do you think this is a good idea? Or should I prepare for the VIVA? Anyone had a similar experience? Any advice? On one hand I think relaxing will be good... and it is unlikely that I will forget what I did in 3 years in one month... but.... what are the cons?

Thanks for your opinion!

T

Definitely! As you said, you're not going to forget 3 years of work in one month, and you'll already have done all the reading that could possibly be required because you couldn't have written the thesis otherwise. Have fun and relax. When else are you going to have a chance to have such a long holiday?

W

Hello Athos. I'm not quite at the stage you're at yet, but if I were you I'd not consider going away for such a considerable length of time before the VIVA. Of course, you're the expert when it comes top to your PhD and subject, so you won't forget what you did, but wouldn't you prefer to prepare considerably before your VIVA and go over absolutely everything before it takes place? What about alll the stuff that is not directly related to your PhD - i.e. is ancillary but could be asked about? What about the key papers you may have read a long time ago, but could do well to go over again? Do you know everything about your PhD absolutely inside out? Why you made the decisions you made? When down the paths at crossroads that you did? Of course, I could be talking a pile of crap - a PhD is a very personal experience and everyone has a different journey. This is just my two pence worth. Someone else will have a different opinion, no doubt.

W

Hello Athos. I'm not quite at the stage you're at yet, but if I were you I'd not consider going away for such a considerable length of time before the VIVA. Of course, you're the expert when it comes top to your PhD and subject, so you won't forget what you did, but wouldn't you prefer to prepare considerably before your VIVA and go over absolutely everything before it takes place? What about alll the stuff that is not directly related to your PhD - i.e. is ancillary but could be asked about? What about the key papers you may have read a long time ago, but could do well to go over again? Do you know everything about your PhD absolutely inside out? Why you made the decisions you made? When down the paths at crossroads that you did? Of course, I could be talking a pile of crap - a PhD is a very personal experience and everyone has a different journey. This is just my two pence worth. Someone else will have a different opinion, no doubt.