Should your own boss be an examiner?

D

======= Date Modified 07 Jan 2012 18:16:34 =======
======= Date Modified 07 Jan 2012 18:04:46 =======
Is it a good idea for your employer to be on your examination committee?

My sup asked whether I want my boss to be an examiner for my oral defense/viva. She suggested him because we need someone from a different department.

The "pros" are it would be good to have someone there whom I know well, in terms of his interests, how he thinks, and anticipating the types of questions he would ask. He's not the type to turn red if he disagrees, and actually listens to what other people have to say. He knows what I'm capable of doing, which is important to me because this dissertation is not my best work, for reasons beyond my control. (The time doing fieldwork and data collection was substantially cut because my father, then my husband, became seriously ill.) He knows about all that, and has been morally supportive. However, the work I do for him is completely unrelated to my dissertation, and we have never discussed my academic research in detail.

The "cons" are it would be awkward if he thinks the work isn't worthy of a pass. It would also be mortifying if the other examiners tore me to shreds. (Sure, it's too prideful, but I admit I think about "saving face.") Even if all went well, what if people inferred cronyism? I would hate if anyone thought I got a pass just because of a personal relationship, or favoritism when the examination process is supposed to be impartial.

(I don't know if the process is different across institutions, or across countries. In my case, the student chooses two committee members, and the sup chooses two examiners. At my uni it's not unusual for a sup to discuss examiners with the advisee, but in the end, it's the sup who chooses and invites examiners.)

I've never used the poll feature on this forum, so here goes...

D

It wouldn't rest well with me, to be honest. I know I'd raise an eyebrow if someone told me their boss had acted as one of their examiners. I know that's being slightly unfair as they could well be impartial but it's just perception. I wouldn't like being examined by anyone I knew anyway for fear of saying something stupid and having to face them again.

Do what rests well with you though.

L

I agree with Delta. However unrelated the work you do for him is, it would be difficult for him to be completely impartial. Like you said, he knows a lot of details about your life and difficulties you have had personally.

Also, you said that he knows you're capable of a higher standard of work than your dissertation; if this is truly the case (perhaps you are just underestimating your own thesis!) then it would be biased of him to take your other work into account. After all, it is the thesis alone that is being examined for the doctorate.

Based on your post, I would let your supervisor ask someone else. This way, no-one can speculate about favouritism and you don't need to worry that your relationship with could be adversely effected. I think this is a rare case when the devil you know isn't necessarily better than the devil you don't know. Good luck with your decision. :-)