Show that you "understand what it means to do a PhD" in your personal statement??

V

I´ve just spoken with the Chair of Finance of a school I´m applying to, and he underline the importance of showing that I "understand what it means to do a PhD" (grueling wrk for 4 years, will work mostly independently, etc). I´ve researched for my master´s thesis and for a work project. How could I convey the fact that I "understand what it means to do a PhD"?

S

heya,
i suppose you might convey that you "know" what to expect from a PhD through your "personal objectives", as discussed in the other thread. like, "In doing a PhD, I hope to achieve insights into all aspects of research, from the practical, hands-on stuff (...) to issues of working independently, self-discipline, and motivation in face of difficulties" (not in quite these words, of course

U

You wont know what is meant by doing a PhD until you do one. However the following satisfied my professor when I applied:

1. I had read the book "How to get a PhD"
2. I was extremely intersted in the focus area, and had an MSc (with distinction) level understanding in it.
3. Would likely publish a few journals and pass within 4 years.
4. Was very keen to do research and had a research personality
5. Can afford to pay fees or win scholarship
6. Is able to contribute to research institute project work and well-being.
7. Would fit in well.

V

Thanks guys. UFO, how´d you define a "research personality"? (independent worker, studious, good at quant, etc?)

U

Most good scientists are a Myers-Briggs "NT" personality type. Not sure about other professions.

This could be a whole thread by itself - PhD subject vs Myers-Briggs type.