singapore graduated phd looking for postdoc opportunities in the states

Z

Hi guys, not sure if you have any advice on my situation or you have experienced the same, I will really appreciate if you could share a word or two.

so here is my background. I am a PHD from singapore and have been a reasearcher in my field (civil/geotech engineering) for a few years. I would say my research experience and resume content is not only above average but also outstanding (compared to my peers who have similar path).

my goal is to find a postdoc in the states, however, i have tried so many ways, including job hire, contacting professors, build up my networks.. I seldom received a response from the states. but I do receive response from other european countries.

is it because i do not have phd experience in the states and I am a foreigner (Chinese)? I am a bit lost now.

T

Ask you prof to introduce you to his/her US colleagues. That is the only sure fire way to get a response.

If you decide to stay in the US, do know it is hard to get green card as foreigner too.

The easiest country to get postdoc position would be canada. You can even apply for PR first.

Z

Thank you so much for your response. I have tried talking to my prof about this and seems it also depends on characters of prof.. thanks again tru!

Z

Quote From tru:
Ask you prof to introduce you to his/her US colleagues. That is the only sure fire way to get a response.

If you decide to stay in the US, do know it is hard to get green card as foreigner too.

The easiest country to get postdoc position would be canada. You can even apply for PR first.

Thank you so much for your response. I have tried talking to my prof about this and seems it also depends on characters of prof.. thanks again tru!