Slow Period

M

Hey.

I know this question has probably been asked a million times on here, so I apologise up front.

I recently returned to study after a number of years working in industry, undertaking a PhD in the engineering school. Although I've conducted research before, and I know the approaches and so forth, I feel like I'm too ahead of where I should be this point. I've read and written up as I go along with regards to the literature review, as well as having some idea in terms of the methodology I hope to use for the experimental work. My supervisor has been really great, and has even suggested that from what he has seen so far, his advice isn't needed. That said, he is always there if I need him, so it's not like he's 'forgetting' about me as what seems to happen so often with other PhD from what I can glean from this forum, anyway.

Either way, the thing is, due to my progress, I've now hit a wall. The equipment I need downstairs needs to be mended as it's currently none-operational, as well as the relevant software not being at my disposal for filling my time with that; both of which are things that require money to be signed off for; something I have no control over. I've mentioned this to my supervisor, and he is making attempts to rectify this, but things seem to have slowed down. Is this normal so early on?

Any suggestions about what I do to feel like I'm still making (at least some), progress. I'm already going through the lit review chapter to turn it into a paper.

Cheers,

- Jim

C

You sound very organised so I wouldn't worry! I think it's normal to have to wait for things outside your control, I think I wasted about a year waiting for various bits of equipment that were being used by others or needed fixed etc. If you can turn your lit review into a paper in the meantime that will give you a huge advantage later on!

T

Tarina can you please stop posting ads every five minutes. Thanks.

M

Thanks Caro.

I just wanted to get some feedback from others who may have been through a similar thing. I haven't read all that many post relating to it so I thought I'd ask. Do you have any other suggestions about how I can apply my time whilst waiting for things to arrive etc?

Cheers,

- Jim

C

If you're stuck with one particular thing, usually there are other bits and pieces you can focus on until the stuck thing resolves itself. For example, could you spend time researching your methodology a bit more, or drafting some writing about that, or looking at the analytical methods you might use once you have your data? Or for a different kind of focus, have you looked into conferences you could attend, or research groups in your field that might be helpful to join, or bits of interesting training? At the end of the day though, if you're all up to date, you should also enjoy this period as it won't always be like that :)

M

Cheers, Chickpea.

Yeah, that's what people keep telling me (even my supervisor for what matter). I suppose it's because I'm still used to doing the whole 9-5 thing that it's kind of hard to break the habit and I'm feeling a bit like I'm slacking off. That said, it's coming up to the Summer, so a few days won't harm I guess ;)

I've already started at looking into the methodology side of things, so hopefully I can use this to keep me busy until everything else rectifies itself!

- Jim