So sleepy - is this common?

B

Today I have just been overcome with the urge to sleep, it's as if my brain is saying 'no more...please'. I made myself go to the shops to try and get some fresh air and wake up some. Got back home sat down on the sofa and I was gone...flat out for an hour! Missed Countdown!

Is this common, anyone else experienced this?

X

Definitely, and I can't say I'm surprised we're feeling this way. It's alot that we're trying to take in with the PhD. I feel tired and lethargic all the time, and my attention span is shorter with each day. I've had many days where I have the intention of taking a quick nap, and wake up three hours later! This PhD business is draining.

O

Oh yes, it happens to me all the time! One time I got home at 5:30, and sat down on my bed, shoes still on even, and woke up six hours later!!!!!!!! I had no intention of going to sleep when I sat down! I sleep a good 9 hours or so a night, going to bed exhausted ( but usually not stressed, there is a difference) and keen to wake up and get going in the morning. I think that this much mental activity IS tiring, and there is also a stress component of the PhD that is tiring as well.

O

Sometimes my brain does not even shut off ( or shut up) in my sleep--it keeps chattering out ideas, and more than once I have woken up with some great idea, and scribbled it out and then gone back to sleep, hoping I can make sense of what I wrote in the morning! Usually these have been those sort of break through, really insightful ideas!

M

yes sleepiness is common. ive found that too.. and weirdly though im not doing anything physically tiring, as all day is spent indoors working..but i think that writing up is so mentally tiring..and i find it difficult to switch off too from work to sleep at night, then sometimes weirdly enough can just drop off suddenly to sleep during the day.

S

thinking is hard work. just ask any competitive chess player. a chess match can be as taxing as a box match! now if you did hard physical work for 8 hours, you would go home and expect to be tired. the same counts for hard mental work!

that's why i sometimes get annoyed of being "just a student". i wish what we do would be recognised for what it is: hard work.

B

Shani, totally understand the only a 'student'. I find myself when taking to friends in the evening who work full-time who say how exhausted they are, telling them of how much I have worked. I find myself trying to push out the images they may have of me watching daytime TV and not getting dressed until midday, which I'm sure they are thinking!

S

(I think this is vaguely relevant)...I only got about three hours sleep last night, completely spaced out today, cannot focus! Off to a seminar in a bit, no way on earth am i going to stay awake. I know i'm not going to be able to focus on work this afternoon either, WHAT A WASTE OF A DAY!!!

J

that's me right there. i can never wake up on time these days. no motivation to get out of bed. unless i have a class, i'll not be up til 11.